A slightly broken Ridley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajc

Thought you might like to see what happened to my bike when a car (driven by an 18 year old lad) turned across me. I was doing around 25mph. He waited for a few seconds before he tried to come across from my right into a road on my left, unfortunately those few seconds meant I had no chance of doing anything. The result, one broken collar-bone, a few broken ribs, a broken heel and a knee which is very stiff and swollen, all on my left side, This is my third week off, so hopefully I'll be able to get out & about soon. I believe the lad is being prosecuted for driving with undue care and attention.

Oh, I think my Giro helmet saved me from some serious head injuries too, its somewhat mangled. Fortunately a passing GP looked after me til the ambulance turned up. Apparantly the lad was "very concerned", not enough to say sorry though, I believe his parents turned up to comfort him.

Still its not put me off cycling (CTC lawyers & bike insurance should sort things out), just concerned about my knee which has already suffered with tendonitis and an op, part of it is still numb..

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Terrible luck ajc. Hope you mend quick and well. Must have been heartbreaking to see your pride and joy mangled like that. Get a good solicitor and go for the pratt's jugular. Keep us posted.

domtyler

Über Member
Make sure you teach him a lesson that will stay with him the rest of his driving career. Glad you're [kind of] okay!

OP
OP
ajc

ajc

Thanks for that ! I'd ridden Paris - Roubaix on it in April, lovely bike, very smooth over the cobbles and a nice commuter too.

I shall make sure that the lad doesn't forget in a hurry !

Oh and they cut off my foska top, marino wool base layer and northwave bibshorts for good measure ! Mind you, the morphine seemed to take the pain of this and everything else away !

Plax

Guru
Oh no! Hope you're well on the mend and your knee will be ok.
Sounds like you're well represented/insured so will hopefully recoup the cost of both bike and attire.

Oof. Is the frame salvagable?

OP
OP
ajc

ajc

Thanks for the messages :tongue:, I'm certainly improving and having a great excuse to sit and watch Le Tour is a bonus !

I was wondering about whether the frame would be ok, however, it was such a big smack that I wouldn't want to risk riding it. My LBS will write the bike off and just replace the whole thing, I expect my insurance company will try to get the cost back from his car insurance and hopefully the cost of his insurance will rise and rise...........

yenrod

ajc said:
Thought you might like to see what happened to my bike when a car (driven by an 18 year old lad) turned across me. I was doing around 25mph. He waited for a few seconds before he tried to come across from my right into a road on my left, unfortunately those few seconds meant I had no chance of doing anything. The result, one broken collar-bone, a few broken ribs, a broken heel and a knee which is very stiff and swollen, all on my left side, This is my third week off, so hopefully I'll be able to get out & about soon. I believe the lad is being prosecuted for driving with undue care and attention.

Oh, I think my Giro helmet saved me from some serious head injuries too, its somewhat mangled. Fortunately a passing GP looked after me til the ambulance turned up. Apparantly the lad was "very concerned", not enough to say sorry though, I believe his parents turned up to comfort him.

Still its not put me off cycling (CTC lawyers & bike insurance should sort things out), just concerned about my knee which has already suffered with tendonitis and an op, part of it is still numb..

>I believe his parents turned up to comfort him.

What a fucking piss-take...

I recall the time I was witness to a car crash (moving into a stationary) and the more deliriously excited was the woman who's car that'd been hit - she came flying out of the house clucking and flapping 'bout her ****ing car stupid disrespectfull bitch - I was most interested how she enver shown some concern for the woman that had crashed unfortunately into her shite motor...

>Apparantly the lad was "very concerned"

And if you would have shown him some justice (if you could have) ie a bloody nose i bet it'd be you in trouble - what a rediculous system ! :biggrin:

I hope you sue every last drop of money out of there sorry little lives AJC ! :biggrin:;);)

postman

Legendary Member
Hope you get better soon.What a super bike.And tell THEM how traumatised you are.You deserve as much money as possible.He should be made to pay dearly for his actions.All the best.

Top Bottom