A small moan about Smart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Not the lights themselves, all the ones I've had have been excellent quality & VFM and I have high hopes of my new 700 lumen one that arrived today, seems very solid and well built and very bright vs my volt 300 tested under the stairs.

However it comes with the same bloody stupid bar mount as the lunar range (& I assume other cigar shaped ones) that you need a screwdriver to rough adjust, has lawyers lips worse than a cheap front fork before screwing in the kurnled knob for half an hour to get it tight over that great hump and has never properly snugly fitted any handlebar I've ever tried it on. I wish they'd take the cateye band & nut idea on and have done with it.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Bleurgh, handlebar mounts are dreadful on so many lights..

Some would be good if it weren't for an oversight either in materials used or some other shortcoming that lets the whole thing down.

I like the handlebar mount that comes with Raleigh RSP lights, a great mount but let down by the short securing bolt and the fact that the bolt rusts as soon as it's been outdoors.

Knog lights like to test the limits of stretchyness in the materials used in their lights, causing them to become overstretched and limp, dangling from the handlebars.

I had once used a cateye front light supplied with what looked like a threaded cable tie and plastic nut, the plastic became brittle and failed after very little use.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Knog lights like to test the limits of stretchyness in the materials used in their lights, causing them to become overstretched and limp, dangling from the handlebars.
Yes, although at first glance the stretchy rubber seems like a good idea and easy to attach, afraid it is just never quite tight enough. Mine kept tipping up in the air and I pushed it back so many times that the rubber got damaged and is on its last legs. Wrote to Knog and they kindly sent a new mount. I think I will put a bit of old tube or something under the new one to see if it will be more stable.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
l quite like the consistency of SMART brackets; if I buy a new front light its consistent with my existing mount so no need to change mounts I can easily swap and change lights and use the on different bikes and rides.
..and you can often use a rear mount for a couple of their front lights to change positioning to the forks etc.

Top Bottom