A smooth newt in my dining room (again...)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having hovered the entire downstairs this afternoon, I know it wasn't there earlier...

It's the 4th one in the last 2 weeks... the first 2 we found were sadly dead from dehydration (at a guess, though we don't yet have the heating on). The next one was very docile (didn't seem that well tbh) but released back into the wild... this was literally just now... it was less docile, but quite placid and the largest to date, and has also been released back where it is meant to be.

IMG_1689.JPG

What I believe is a smooth newt and apparently not commonly seen in October. Guess my landlady's pond was a good breeding ground this year (its about 3 metres from our door and there is a substantial gap under the door (which I think we may need to deal with)).

It was teased on to a piece of card (I prefer not to handle them because I think our hands are too warm for them (?)), photo'ed and released just a touch further away from home (there is a small quiet brook near by leading either way into more suitable ponds - at least more suitable than my dining room carpet is!)

Was it Tiny?

Twas My Newt

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well it's better than the slugs we get, though I never find them just their trails, as they wander in and out of our downstairs rooms. (At least they don't climb the stairs!)

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Have you ever seen an angry newt? Be very afraid.

CMTV-like Ranaviruses, now that's something to be very afraid of!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There was a disease affecting frogs some years ago in the UK. I found 5 bloated floaters in my tiny pond.

Top Bottom