A sobering experience

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by vernon, 26 Jul 2012.

1. vernon

vernon Harder than Ronnie Pickering

After much dithering - will we, won't we, Rohit and I took a detour to visit the Mauthausen Concentration camp memorial. It was primarily a work camp but it also had a small gas chamber and a crematorium. The we're many photographic displays and the German captions needed no translation. What was the most striking was the diversity of the ethnicity of the victims. I never expected to see Spanish and Chinese memorial plaques for example. It was a very silent descent from the hill top where the camp was situated.

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  2. Mad Doug Biker

Mad Doug Biker Bikeoholics Anonymous

I visited Aushwitz a few years back, and the place was full of tourists (including myself I hasten to add, although not in a bad way). I think I'll need to go back in the middle of winter sometime when it is deserted instead.

I have also been to Sachsenhausen, but even there, there were German families with kids who just would not shut up! :rolleyes: That said, I had just fallen off a small cliff a week beforehand, gaining some head injuries, so I don't really remember much about it anyway :blush:

3. Edwards80

Edwards80 Über Member

I visited Aushwitz a couple of years ago. Fortunately not too busy when I went but everyone walked around almost silently anyway. You have an idea of what to expect but the sheer scale of the place takes you aback. Well worth visiting. Fortunately the other bits of Poland that I saw were very pretty and a bit more uplifiting!

Took some pic's too - http://www.flickr.com/photos/smeracing/sets/72157618053500407/

4. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Witness acount:

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  5. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

I also made a visit to Auschwitz some years ago, while working for a week in Krakow. It was,indeed,a sobering experience,and one I'll never forget.

6. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

I remember watching the episode of The World at War dealing with the concentration camps with my father back in the early 1970s. Naturally, I was really appalled at what I saw. After the programme finished, my father told me that his unit had been one of the first into a concentration camp, and I think it might have been Belsen. The troops were so angry at what they found there that they went into a nearby village and forced its German civilians to come to the camp and help them bury the bodies in mass graves. The villagers kept muttering that they knew nothing, it wasn't their fault etc. etc. Apparently, none of them had ever noticed the stench of burning and rotting flesh, or the fact that thousands of people were being herded in there every week, yet none of them ever came back out ...

Grim.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice