A Specific Climbing Rose question (or two).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
So I went to Bents (a large, popular garden centre outside Warrington).
I told the expert that my requirements were.....
Quick growing
To cover 6' x 6' trellis
Plenty of cover.
Repeat flowering
She recommended one called Dublin Bay and told me.. .....
1. By june it will be half way up the trellis.
2. Every year it must be pruned RIGHT BACK to this size (about 9").
So
Planting it yesterday I noted that the tag/label says..........
"Height and Spread in 10 years" is 7' x 7'. It says nothing about pruning.
To me (a gardening ignoramous) its contradictory eg if i have to prune it RIGHT BACK every year, how is it ever going to cover the trellis?
Has she sold me the wrong rose ?
Thanks

Siclo

Veteran
So I went to Bents

And then your wallet went into cardiac arrest.....

But seriously it will grow 5 to 6 feet in a year once established with a decent root system, essentially you are going to have a bare trellis every winter, pruning it right back will encourage it to flower more in the summer, you could not prune it back so far but you'll get woody stems with no flowers and little foliage. Climbing plants can put on amazing growth in a year, I used to have a clematis that would grow 25 feet from ground in a year.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You’ll be fine BUT just do not cut it back. Train it onto the trellis and prune to that restriction. Occasionally you can prune up to a third of the growth back to 9” to stop too much congestion.

Occasionally you’ll need to prune any ‘suckers’ back to nothing or if you aren’t 100% sure they are suckers to 9”. Suckers will be sappy, very straight growth rather than woody stems and have 7 rather than 5 leaves. There are exceptions. Experiment.

Feed a few times a year and water, water, water in the 1st year.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
And then your wallet went into cardiac arrest.....

But seriously it will grow 5 to 6 feet in a year once established with a decent root system, essentially you are going to have a bare trellis every winter, pruning it right back will encourage it to flower more in the summer, you could not prune it back so far but you'll get woody stems with no flowers and little foliage. Climbing plants can put on amazing growth in a year, I used to have a clematis that would grow 25 feet from ground in a year.
Re my wallet^_^ . I would not go to Bents out of choice but we had some gift vouchers as a present so were obliged to use them.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Your advice @Heltor Chasca and that of @Siclo make good sense and are far more helpful than I got at Bents.
I am absolutely, possitively confident It has been maybe, possibly planted correctly:headshake:so hopefully by June/July????

Hide your secateurs and just let it do its thing for the first season. If it’s happy it will reward you with flowers. Just water and feed. Then when it is completely dormant check if anything needs a prune. An over infatuation in pruning isn’t a good obsession.

Cup of tea, a deck chair and admire it.

Siclo

Veteran
As @Heltor Chasca says it'll be fine if you let it alone for he first year, it's a very tolerant rose and although Bents may be stupid money you really can't fault the quality of their plants, unlike a certain large Dutch online retailer who have just sent me some plugs that are now in resus, not helped by Hermes chucking the package in the bin :banghead: , at least they were free

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
As @Heltor Chasca says it'll be fine if you let it alone for he first year, it's a very tolerant rose and although Bents may be stupid money you really can't fault the quality of their plants, unlike a certain large Dutch online retailer who have just sent me some plugs that are now in resus, not helped by Hermes chucking the package in the bin :banghead: , at least they were free
And Bents do give a 10 year warranty.
Not sure how you would prove a dud rose at 10 years but ^_^

tom73

Guru
As @Heltor Chasca say's enjoy it and don't prune it water and plenty of it till it get's going. If it gets a bit out hand then prune it to control it. Dead head and hand full of fish blood and bone. About now time every year and a bit of pot ash now and after the 1st lot of flowers and away you go.

Just checking you have planted it away from the base of the trellis leaning into it ?

Top Bottom