A spontaneous deflation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The tube did not explode: it deflated like it would if you open the valve.
I had a tube exploding once, it was nothing like that.
Nevertheless, I had a similar deflation of another tube a few years ago that I did not investigate: this time I will!
I'm going to fit that tube on another bike's wheel, see what happens.

Underlying pothole damage mibes....if it's a sudden puncture. A weakness can be there for some time before gives up.
Have you been negligent lately in your duties to your master? Feline miffedom its not something to flirt with......

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have come across this problem before. It has all to do with ambient temperatures and flux capacitors.

I would check my flux capicitor first if I were you.

Either the that or fire the wife for espionage.

Venod

Eh up
Was the valve screw up tight after you pumped it up outside, I have when in a hurry failed to tighten the valve correctly resulting in a mysterious deflation later.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Can't offer any explanation, but going off on a slight tangent............it struck me the other day that my spare tubes kept in my saddle bag could be going on for three or four years old. Do they have a lifespan? Just wondered if I went to use one I might find it had degraded badly being rolled up in a saddle bag or a long time.

mythste

Veteran
I too, am curious!

I had a tube that would hold 100psi (measured) for 3 days, then completely deflate on the 4th! Never whilst riding. Also kept indoors. I replaced it after 2 weeks just to be on the safe side but it sure was weird.

Has anything else in your life spontaneously deflated, Pat? I'm just looking for any commonality.

tyred

Legendary Member
Can't offer any explanation, but going off on a slight tangent............it struck me the other day that my spare tubes kept in my saddle bag could be going on for three or four years old. Do they have a lifespan? Just wondered if I went to use one I might find it had degraded badly being rolled up in a saddle bag or a long time.

So long as they're kept in the dark it should be fine. It's UV light which does rubber in. And oil contamination.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I don't know about degredation, but unless they're kept in the box or well protected, they can rub up against tyre levers, multi tools, etc in the bag and wear a hole in them making them useless when you need them.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
@Mo1959 : I've just pulled a 7 year old Bontrager tube out of the garage to sacrifice. (I'm teaching my wife to repair tubes as she's going to be training on her own, and I needed something to stab and repair without buying one and without using a current spare).
It's literally as good as new, I felt bad piercing it. I'm inclined to believe the theory that light is the enemy, this one's been in a dark cupboard for all that time.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Was the valve screw up tight after you pumped it up outside, I have when in a hurry failed to tighten the valve correctly resulting in a mysterious deflation later.
This could be it! I have been quite tired from work lately :rolleyes:
What I am planning to do is to fit that tube on another wheel, inflate and wait for a day or so. I need to wait till Sunday evening before doing this (off on Monday) because the only other 700c wheel I've got is on my spare commuter, in case they both go flat together at 6am.
At the moment, the weird tube is still inflated two days later, albeit outwith a tyre ^_^

Has anything else in your life spontaneously deflated, Pat? I'm just looking for any commonality.
Nay, my ego is well inflated as usual :tongue:

D

Deleted member 1258

Is the tube patched? It could be a patch letting go, it's possible that a failing patch will hold at a low pressure but lift at a higher pressure.

Top Bottom