A Summer 'Way Of The Roses'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doughnut

Veteran
Its a great ride. Did it with my wife and daughter last summer over 4 days. We found it tricky to get the trains to Morecambe - 3 bikes on 3 separate trains due to northern rail "rules", so it was a late start on day 1.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've done it in each direction, both trips over 2 days & it's one of my favourite routes. I was hoping to do it again this year in 1 day, but that looks unlikely now.
If you want a nice pub in Ripon, check out the One Eyed Rat, no food, but a really friendly pub with about 8 real ales on

Thinking about the Eric Morecambe statue
Ernie Wise was born in Bramley (Leeds) & grew up in East Ardsley (south of Leeds), and there's a statue of him in Morley
It could be because, East Ardsley falls under part of Morley constituency?
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1769639

However..... Morley is, of course, better known to us all as the home of one Beryl Charnock:okay: (to use her maiden name)

If you want a nice pub in Ripon, check out the One Eyed Rat, no food, but a really friendly pub with about 8 real ales on
Not sure about that one, but we were in 'The Water Rat', last Tuesday (17th)
510129 510130

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Me dear old dad and I are planning on doing it over 6 days (30miles a day ish) and going at snail pace. Late August so I'm partially optimistic.
I'm not sure if I want to go through Driffield though...it doesn't look anything special.
I'd like us to dip the tyres at each end but will have to see what happens at the time. It'd be a shame not to.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I see the starting point is just north of Alderman Birketts Clock
(I went to Morecambe, a lot as a kid)

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2390073
That's west of the clock by about half a mile :smile:

Me dear old dad and I are planning on doing it over 6 days (30miles a day ish) and going at snail pace. Late August so I'm partially optimistic.
I'm not sure if I want to go through Driffield though...it doesn't look anything special.
I'd like us to dip the tyres at each end but will have to see what happens at the time. It'd be a shame not to.
Best bet is via the wharf on Stone Jetty at Morecambe. Unless it's high tide, you've got quite a lot of wet sand to cross before you reach the sea :okay:

It's a great ride. I did it over three days a couple of years ago on my Brompton. I had great weather for the first two days but cycled from York to Bridlington in the pouring rain.

I stopped in Burnsall and York for my overnights. I ate at so many pubs and cafes, I think I put on at least 2kgs over the course of the ride.

Enjoy yourself.

View attachment 509946 View attachment 509947
View attachment 509949
No luggage?
Was riding in settle couple of weeks ago
Chucking it down.

MarkF

Guru
Go for it, I think a lot will be thinking along similar lines, the trip with my daughter has turned from Bilbao- Malaga to Workington-Sunderland.:sad:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Good plan.

I think people feel pressured into doing these coast to coast rides over three days because that's what most of the guidebooks say.

Daily touring distances could be a thread in itself, but you can have just as much fun doing 30 miles a day as you can doing 80, and doing 30 means you have five fun days instead of three.

One way of marking the start and end of the ride is to take a pebble from one side of the country to the other.

Top Bottom