A Sunday morning puzzle for you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Whilst in the pub, celebrating his son's birthday, the father was asked when was his birthday. He answered thus:

"The day before yesterday I was 25 and the next year I will be 28. This is true only one day in a year."

You tell me, what day is my birthday?

Sharky

Guru
Close but no cigar

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Wife calls up to her colourblind hubby, "can you bring me down a pair of socks please".

The problem is that all the socks are in a drawer, not paired up. And there are 10 black socks and 10 brown socks.

How many socks does the hubby have to take out of the drawer to guarantee that wifey gets a pair?

Sharky

Guru
Whilst in the pub, celebrating his son's birthday, the father was asked when was his birthday. He answered thus:

"The day before yesterday I was 25 and the next year I will be 28. This is true only one day in a year."

You tell me, what day is my birthday?

Could it be..
Jan 31[\spoiler]

kynikos

Veteran
Wife calls up to her colourblind hubby, "can you bring me down a pair of socks please".

The problem is that all the socks are in a drawer, not paired up. And there are 10 black socks and 10 brown socks and they have logos on them which go above the outside ankle bone.

How many socks does the hubby have to take out of the drawer to guarantee that wifey gets a pair?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

The problem is that all the socks are in a drawer, not paired up. And there are 10 black socks and 10 brown socks and they have logos on them which go above the outside ankle bone.

I think it’s still 3. :smile:

Sharky

Guru

Presume that means in each colour, you have 5 left socks and 5 right socks.

Then 11

classic33

Leg End Member
Move five matches to balance the scales.

Seevio

Guru
Correct!

Here's another:

In a game of Tug-o’-War, Oliver and John easily won over Thomas and Jacob. When Oliver and Thomas were a team, they could barely pull Jacob and John. When Oliver and Jacob played in a team against Thomas and John, the game ended in a draw. Can you name each person from strongest to weakest?
I got it wrong.
How did you work it out?
The first 2 lines
Oliver + John >> Thomas + Jacob
Oliver + Thomas > John + Jacob
These tell us
a) John > Thomas as the win is easier when John is on Oliver's team.
b) Oliver > Jacob If not, the winners would be reversed when John and Thomas swapped.
c) The difference between Oliver and Jacob > difference between John and Thomas. Again, the result would be reversed if this was not true.
The last line
Oliver + Jacob = John + Thomas
This line only works when it's 1st+4th = 2nd +3rd (in any order)
We know from c) that the biggest difference is between Oliver and Jacob and b) tells us which is which.
All this gives the result Oliver > John > Thomas > Jacob

Top Bottom