A taxi driver speaks.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3732012.ece

Still, Bill Whitney was impressed. A taxi driver for 14 years, Mr Whitney, 61, has had more than his share of collisions with cyclists.

“I don’t mind cyclists, providing they use the roads right,”

he said.

“But they ride about with no lights, wearing all black.

I just plough right through them.

I might not, though, if they were wearing a jacket like that.”

"If you can't get cyclists to use a tiny flashing light to warn motorists of their presence, there is NO chance that you will be able to get them to wear this."

The same could be said of motorists using tiny orange lights to warn other road users of their intentions!!

spindrift said:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3732012.ece

Still, Bill Whitney was impressed. A taxi driver for 14 years, Mr Whitney, 61, has had more than his share of collisions with cyclists.

“I don’t mind cyclists, providing they use the roads right,”

he said.

“But they ride about with no lights, wearing all black.

I just plough right through them.

I might not, though, if they were wearing a jacket like that.”

Having had some experience with the press I would suggest that the 'plough' comment is probably a misquote or has been taken out of context. I am sure the taxi driver did not mean he would just carry on regardless.

PBancroft

Hm. ISTR that most, if not all Taxi drivers in London do their knowledge training on small motorbikes and scooters. They have maps attached to the front and are not only trying to learn routes whilst travelling, but need to be extra careful of traffic around them. They are all too aware of how vulnerable they and other non-car road users are.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that an important bit of his comments were left out, such as not seeing cyclists who don't have lights (which would lead him to plow through them).

So this jacket then.

What happens when it rains?
How do you wash it?
What happens when you wear a rucksack or courier bag?
What happens if the twat car driver doesn't see you anyway cause they are numpties?

I have a Use Exposure light on my bike, which throws out about 50 watts of light, I have a Dinotte rear light which throws out about 12 watts of light....

I had a taxi this morning pull out of a junction in front of me, and then drive along the pavement to park.

If he couldn't see my lights, the pavement or feel the bump - then the jacket would have been equally invisble and pointless.

If he simply believes that he has more "right" to the road than other users, and to the pavement then pedestrians, then the jacket will again be pointless.

Disgruntled Goat said:
So this jacket then.

What happens when it rains?
How do you wash it?
What happens when you wear a rucksack or courier bag?
What happens if the twat car driver doesn't see you anyway cause they are numpties?

It is just another solution to a problem that fails to target the cause.

Bad driving.

Nothing will protect people from motorists except the motorists themselves, until we find some way of making drivers care about the safety of others, no amounts of high-viz and flashy jackets will help us.

Tougher training for starters - this is somewhat of a sore point with me at the moment. There have been rumblings for a long time in the motorbike world about making testing more stringent and equipping new riders with better skills to help keep them alive, as well as stretching out the limits on what capacity bike you can ride and when.

Great. Thats fine, it isn't good to have riders killing themslelves left right and centre because they can't ride properly, but what about the millions of cars on our roads that kill thousands of other people every year? Most of them will be through sheer stupidity at the wheel, wrecking lives all over the place, but no-one seems to think that car drivers are undertrained? Oh no, these great people were just 'unlucky' or some other bullsh*t.

In the press as soon as a biker kills themselves there are calls for increased training and restriction. When some tit in 1.5 tons of steel wipes out a whole family, it was just bad driving.

Part of why I ride a motorbike, and a bicycle, as transport is that I dislike the reponsibility of driving a car. The way I see it, if I make a mistake, I have much less chance of dragging someone random into it. I think I have a bit of a warped view, due to an experience in my late teens, but I can't handle the destructive potential of a car very often.

Roads will not get safer as cars get safer for their occupants. Here is my call for increased driver training. A sense of realism MUST be installed in the population - cars are lethal weapons. They MUST be treated with respect, and so must everyone they affect. How often do we have someone here complaining about close overtakes and someone giving them a scare? It is just a scare to the driver, but a near death experience for the cyclist.

Ban windscreens. Ban radios. Ban ABS. Ban huge A pillars. Classify cars as weapons and punish their drivers accordingly. Make cars more dangerous to their occupants, and the roads will get safer. Provide realistic, proper training to drivers. Re-test them after crashes.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
simple, replace the airbag with a dirty great spike. ban anything other than third party insurance. then you'll get careful drivers.

Top Bottom