A thread by a noob, for noobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cycling is addictive and soon N+ 1 will come into your head and you will find you start "repricing " parts you just bought so they sound ok to swmbo ...or time deliveries so they arrive when shes out

All this time, I thought it was just me that did that. I've even has stuff delivered to my Mums house to avoid detection:laugh:. I wish I has seen the OPs post before I started, I did not have a budget for accessories at all. I reckon I have spent more on them in the last year than the bike cost me.

Trail Child

Congrats! Can't wait to hear more of your cycling adventures. :smile:

jay clock

Massive member
Remember that a car (even the cheapest reliable one) will cost you £1000 a year for sitting on the drive. So £50 a month on cycling is good value.

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

You are never done! There is always something 'necessary? to buy.

you are right! I have just realised I need* to replace the tape on the bars and buy myself a cheap bike stand to help with tweaking gears/lubing etc... maybe next week!

oh and I need* a chain cleaner and some oil... and some tights, tracky bottoms wont do.

*'need' can be replaced for 'want' in absence of Mrs Kerndog

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

Remember that a car (even the cheapest reliable one) will cost you £1000 a year for sitting on the drive. So £50 a month on cycling is good value.

hi - yes this is how I justified blowing nearly £800. We worked out that the car was costing in excess of £1500 a year what with an expensive mot, petrol, tax etc. Also stopping smoking and reducing the amount I drink is also saving me a fortune.

I worked out that saving the £20 a week on baccy by giving up smoking and £20 a week saved by not going to the pub on a Wednesday for 'man club', I will save myself a whopping £2000 per year!!!! I know! Bonkers. That's my new bike I have now and one at the beginning of next year justified right there (bring on the shiny summer bike) without even factoring in the saving from selling the bmw!

The weathers nice down this way.. im off for a ride ^_^

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

So I went for a ride, did a little over 10 miles in 51 mins... and my legs are knackered! As I said earlier in this thread somewhere, its really hilly where I live. As an example today's ride had an elevation gain of 865 ft over 10 mile.

Have to say strava rules! fellow noobs if your thinking of getting a computer for your bike and have a smart phone, I wouldn't bother with the bike computer. Maybe get a cheap speedo if you like to know how fast your going and spend the rest on something you really need. I have a cateye double wireless and only use it as a speedo really. You get everything that the computer does and a lot more with strava. i also bought cycle meter before I found strava and that's good but the social element of strava is brilliant and challenging yourself and friends to become KOM really pushes you to ride harder.

Anyway back to the point - Is that a lot of up hill or are the majority of riders slogging it out up really big hills every time they go Riding?

I do also have a totally flat route through the village I live near and back again, i did it 4 times the other day and clocked up 16 miles without realising I'd gone that far.

Could anyone explain what advantage riding on the flats has compared to slogging it out up hills? Im thinking flats for stamina and good cadence and hills for strength and power????

Great thread Kerndog, I have to say I am looking @ buying a Dawes Galaxy.
I have the choice of a Galaxy 2012 and see if they will sell it to me cheaper or hold out and get a Galaxy plus 2013 and sell my giant Defy 1 as it is just sat in the garage gathering dust

Buck

Guru
Made me smile reading that Kerndog :biggrin:

I've spent. Small fortune x4 buying the whole family bikes and accessories. Hoping to get out t his weekend if the weather is half decent.

Pjays666

Über Member
Have to say strava rules! fellow noobs if your thinking of getting a computer for your bike and have a smart phone, I wouldn't bother with the bike computer. Maybe get a cheap speedo if you like to know how fast your going and spend the rest on something you really need. I have a cateye double wireless and only use it as a speedo really.
I also have a double wireless and only use it on my turbo trainer so agree spend it on something you need and get a free app just watch your battery power on phone

Top Bottom