A thread by a noob, for noobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

very good post

I'd be wary of leaving a bike anywhere for any length of time with a £15 lock however, just be aware, especially if it's a cable lock, your bike could be gone in seconds (speaking from experience). The best D locks are around £70 (and even those aren't scumbag proof)

hmmm, yes I had wondered about the lock, here is the lock I have

luckily I live in a small village and wont be leaving it alone locked up for long... should the lock be my next investment then?

And thanks to all the other posters for making we noobs feel welcome, I'm looking forward to getting to stuck into riding in a big (verging on obsessive already) way!

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

oh balls! Anyone want a mirror? :laugh:

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

wait till you get secretive from SWMBO and have dying urdge for n+1

Hi - whats SWMBO?

and yep, n+1 is already in full effect here im afraid. I have the MTB for roughing it, the new roadie for everything else and already feel the need for just one more, upgraded, sh!t hot road bike at the end of next summer... tis a slippery slope I fear!

i have started repeating to my self at night "no more bikes, no more kit - no more bikes, no more kit" over and over until the urge to accessorize and upgrade disappears.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Kerndog? Rame? you must be just up the road from me- which makes me slightly annoyed that I missed the Allex on evil-bay! :laugh:
Got a new flat bar road bike coming in a few weeks so we'll have to hook up and go for noob rides tearing up the countryside if ya like!

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Loved this post! Always nice to see people converted to cycling! As everyone has said, cycling expenses really do add up - particularly at the beginning, and particularly if you're riding in the winter. But I always like to say to myself that although cycling is an expensive hobby, it's a very cheap means of transport - only walking is cheaper. So don't feel too guilty about all the cash you're spending: as you've got rid of your car, the investment will pay off very, very fast. Besides, good health is a worthwhile investment too - think of the misery and the financial cost of being ill. So get out there and buy all the stuff you need, and don't skimp on quality - you'll be glad you did!
Just a couple of points. Concerning your lock: the one you need depends on the circumstances that you leave your bike in. If you're leaving it outside the village post office for a couple of minutes, you really don't need to lug around a Krypotonite! I have two locks: one I use for little errands, another for when I'm on tour or for leaving my bike for longer periods.
Finally, as your post is for noobs, I think it's worthwhile pointing out that measuring your new bike properly is very important. Make sure you know what you're looking for, and if you don't, take someone who does: riding a bike that is the wrong size is uncomfortable and can even lead to injury.
Good luck!

simon.r

Person
Nice intro:thumbsup:

Over the last few weeks I've spent about £300 on various bits and bobs to get my bikes 'just right' - a shinier chain-set, a slightly longer stem, a stem mounted computer, better mudguards etc etc...I have now resolved to spend nothing more, except to replace worn out bits.

A resolution which I fully expect to last until the payday after next!^_^

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi - whats SWMBO?

She Who Must Be Obeyed

(sometimes known as 'er indoors)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Welcome to CC and a fantastic post !
Only one thing , heres my ex pc gamer geek mode .
newb = newbie, beginner
n00b = someone who should know better but still make c**k ups .

I am N00B :blush:
Cycling is addictive and soon N+ 1 will come into your head and you will find you start "repricing " parts you just bought so they sound ok to swmbo ...or time deliveries so they arrive when shes out :smile:

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

Kerndog? Rame? you must be just up the road from me- which makes me slightly annoyed that I missed the Allex on evil-bay! :laugh:
Got a new flat bar road bike coming in a few weeks so we'll have to hook up and go for noob rides tearing up the countryside if ya like!

yes I'm on the rame peninsula, lovely part of the world, lots of hills though... Where are you?

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

hey Jimmy Doug, and thanks. yeah it is expensive to start off, but kind of fun too! - Yeah I dont leave it unattended for long, I reckon I'll get the old motorbike chain out for now If im going into the big smoke.

Thanks simon r - I reckon im also done for now... well until I find something else I need (or think I need) :laugh:

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

Thanks cyberknight! From one noob to another thanks, that's some serous top level cyber geek insider info right there, thanks! Always learning.

Oh and I already started the 're-pricing' trick, doesn't work here though :sad:

hey spinney, that's funny thanks. i like to refer to her as 'the ball and chain' on particularly misogynistic man chats in the local ^_^

An excellent start, although it seems expensive (especially to your missus!) to get started with style...keep your receipts and tell us again at the end of the summer lol
For every pound I save on transport costs I spend another on keeping the buzz going, trips further afield, new shinies etc.

Top Bottom