A Tildesley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaddyMcc

Über Member
image.jpg
maybe a Sport 20? I have bought it tonight, collect Saturday. Any ideas where I might find some info, the Internet is sadly lacking but from what I can work out the factory was in Birmingham from about 1920 to 1960. Thanks for any help you can offer.

View attachment 93308 maybe a Sport 20? I have bought it tonight, collect Saturday. Any ideas where I might find some info, the Internet is sadly lacking but from what I can work out the factory was in Birmingham from about 1920 to 1960. Thanks for any help you can offer.
It's female-it lays eggs!!

Reactions: KEW
OP
OP
PaddyMcc

PaddyMcc

Über Member
I collected it this morning. 21 inch frame, 26 inch wheels, 3 speed Sturmey-Archer. There is no serial number on the BB, does this help date it? The brakes are the wrong way around and the mudguards are plastic, a later add-on I assume. Can any cycle historians out there help me date this?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
U

User42423

Looking at the machine in general, I would guess at a date of late 60s or early 70s. The Sturmey 3-speed should have a date stamped on it. I think Tildesley were somehow connected to C.W.S (Co-op Wholesale Supply).

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Looking at the machine in general, I would guess at a date of late 60s or early 70s. The Sturmey 3-speed should have a date stamped on it. I think Tildesley were somehow connected to C.W.S (Co-op Wholesale Supply).

I think it is earlier than that - difficult to tell from the photos, but it looks as if it might have a Brampton head-clip headset. In addition, it has box-lining - it looks to me, as if it is from the 1950s.

Last edited:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Having had a closer look at the photos, it looks as if there is the outline of a (former) transfer decal on the seat tube ?

Personally, if this were mine, I'd seek to keep the frame as is - given the age, it looks in pretty decent condition.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is that a quadrant shifter on the top tube? That could be a useful clue to its age. Unfortunately my knowledge of SA shifters is Quadrant=reet old; Metal trigger=quite old; plasticy trigger=not very old. But someone here may be able to be more specific.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks 50s to me, nice :becool:

Top Bottom