A timely reminder - Bike lights in October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Summer is over - At quarter to seven in the evening, it might still be light enough to see the road without lights, but in traffic, where all the cars have their lights on, bikes need lights too!

Coming back through town this evening, I saw at least 15 other bike commuters hurrying home, of which 6 or so had no lights whatsoever. It was quite frightening to see how easily they blended in to the background. Bike lights have never been better / cheaper / easier to use. Get 'em on!

Good point - must put mine on charge!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've been using the 'to be seen with' lights on the morning commute this week (leaving at 07:00) for the first 15 minutes or until the sun properly rises over the North Sea.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I commute much earlier and later than many due to doing 7-7 12hr shifts on rotating nights and days so have found lights essential for many weeks due to setting off around 5.30am and not getting back until almost 8pm when working the day shift.
However, plenty of commute ninjas on the road in recent weeks that really put themselves at risk by massively reducing their chances of being seen in good time and some even riding recklessly (two cases of bike riders just riding out in front of me this autumn, presumably riding just using hearing rather than sight? I feel sorry for any driver that collides with such dangerous and reckless cyclists when they have done nothing wrong other than just being there!

I'm sure the usual CC mob will turn up to argue that cyclists shouldn't have to have lights to avoid being run over in the dark, but in this day & age of hugely busy roads and the massive contrast between vehicle lights and darkness/shadow (the stupid intensity of modern vehicle lights doesn't help, but that's another debate!) it is just common sense to use some lights.

Alex321

Veteran
I've had my lights on for the commute to work (leaving the house at about 7:00am) for a couple of weeks now.

And needing them if I go out for a ride after dinner on the days I'm WFH.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I wouldn’t dream of not having my lights. I have my 1000 Lumen (it’s variable so I don’t light up Norfolk) and my cateye front lights. Cateye and, really good, Halfords rears, plus a little flasher on the seat stay for good measure.
I don’t generally have them all on at the same time, on well lit roads, but like to carry a spare in case of failure.

I do mutter to myself at the non-lighted brigade. So many delivery bikes are without lights, including paper boys & girls first thing. I nearly collected one the other morning. I just have to assume that their parents don’t much like them.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In most big towns and cities in Denmark. The police get out for a couple of mornings each week and do a purge on bikes without lights. They make a big deal of it and the results end up on the front page of the papers for everyone gets to see them. The first week they hand out warnings. The second week they start giving people tickets. the third week, everyone has lights. To be honest I rarely see people without front and rear lights. I ride with three front lights and three rear lights. It is too easy not to realise that one has gone out and so two of mine are are always illuminated.

I have just bought a MagicShine 6500 that has a dip beam button on the handlebar. Thats a nice thing to have. It goes from 6500 lumens to a lower setting instantly. I set off for work at 4.30am and I live in pitch black Denmark for my 20km commute.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
In most big towns and cities in Denmark. The police get out for a couple of mornings each week and do a purge on bikes without lights. They make a big deal of it and the results end up on the front page of the papers for everyone gets to see them. The first week they hand out warnings. The second week they start giving people tickets. the third week, everyone has lights. To be honest I rarely see people without front and rear lights. I ride with three front lights and three rear lights. It is too easy not to realise that one has gone out and so two of mine are are always illuminated.

I have just bought a MagicShine 6500 that has a dip beam button on the handlebar. Thats a nice thing to have. It goes from 6500 lumens to a lower setting instantly. I set off for work at 4.30am and I live in pitch black Denmark for my 20km commute.

Without getting too political you are fortunate in having enough police to carry out such tasks!

figbat

Slippery scientist
I often go out for a ride straight after work. I’ve been doing it all summer, enjoying the evenings and great weather. On Monday I went out about 5:30 as always and without lights - it never even crossed my mind. By the time I got home at 7 it was very dim. I was off-road mostly but had to cross some roads and then get to my house - I did think that riding a dark grey bike, wearing urban camo gear and with no lights was probably not a great idea. Lights now charged and ready.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've been off work this week and have been fettling bikes. One of the things I did was put lights on the commuter ready for Monday.

roley poley

Über Member
Haven't taken them off....

IMG_20221007_090557.jpg
and will be turning them on:hello:

Top Bottom