A trifle draughty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeeW

Another reason to get a velomobile. On the Quest and most other models, all the oily bits are on the inside which means they barely ever need attention. On my old Quest I managed 12k miles in all weathers with the only drive train maintenance being oiling the chain every month or so.

Fiona N

Veteran
I was really lucky a few years ago when I was living in Northern Italy (typical Sunday ride was ca.100 miles in -5C but sunny) that I found a pair (doesn't seem quite the correct word) of Descente all-in-ones (i.e. leg-hugging longs + vest-style top - rather more substantial than your usual bib tights) in very windproof Roubaix-type fleecey stuff. There's no pad so they're ideal for winter 'bent riding with a windproof top.

I've no idea whether such things are available in the UK but can recommend them if you can get them (though it has to be said, they were fairly expensive). They're a bit warm for UK conditions usually but the last few weeks have been ideal ;)

Perhaps more practically, a pair of lycra running shorts (of the fitted rather than flappy variety) under the normal leggings are usually good for keeping the butt and hamstrings warm and supported.

Freezing Fog

It doesn't sound like anything other than freezing fog has caused your gear brake problems. Water can drain down into the low loops of cables that recumbents have and then freeze in this weather; that means brakes and gears do not work.

Remember that Felixstowe Docks have been shut because of all the fog freezing on their cranes and making them inoperative - if it can stop a crane, it'll find halting a trike is child's play.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well the cables all worked fine on this morning's ride (9am, 2 degrees outside, plenty of frost) so that was good, plus I wore some shorts over my cycling trousers and had a more comfortable-temperature behind.

However I managed to break my chain as I reached my destination (after 7.5 miles) so that was DEAD annoying - I didn't have a chain tool with me. In the end I borrowed my husband's trike to cycle home and get the car whilst he had a cup of coffee. Tomorrow the trike is going in for its service, it clearly needs it after 3k miles.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I always carry a chain tool, and a 9spd powerlink usually. I used to carry an 8 spd powerlink too, but haven't got any in the tool roll at the moment. If I can help another cyclist with a deflation, or a broken chain it makes my whole day.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I thought chain breaks were pretty rare so was a bit surprised it happened, although after the punishment of the cold my trike has suffered recently I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised.

I have the 9spd powerlink and chain tool at home. I don't think that I'll take to carrying them around on a daily basis, however, as it adds weight to the tools. I'm off on a cycle tour on my own in Germany in May and need to think very carefully, before then, as to what I should take and what I can reasonably safely leave behind.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I can recommend long-johns for the weather we've had lately. Went out for a 27-mile ride in -7 temps. Thanks to thermal underwear, long trousers tucked into winter socks, a fleece and a balaclava, I was toasty. :-)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Long johns are the answer. Lots of outdoor workers wear them (but don't usually like to talk about it!)

I get a very cold arse on my mesh-seat recumbent. A bit of foam sleeping mat tucked between the two layers of mesh helps a lot. Long johns and/or a fairing do the rest.

They don't stop my control cables from freezing though.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I wear running tights under a pair of baggy shorts, and that seems to work pretty well. The shorts have ties just below the knee which stops them balooning up on descents. If I'm getting hot in personal places, or fancy a rainwater enema, I undo them a little.

I gave up trying to find a decent pair of cycling tights, as most were baggy around the ankle (right where the wind is) or insisted on having rear facing zip pockets (not great on a bent).

On the plus side, bents do at least allow you to use non cycle specific stretch wear without having to deal with the opacity destroying reach from butt to bar.

Top Bottom