A trifle draughty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I've been out in the arctic weather on my trike over the last couple of days, really enjoying the beautiful rural scenery round here. Problem is, when I get home my buttocks are absolutely frozen! I think it's being so near to the ground with the wind whistling about. The rest of me is toasty warm but my bum, sitting on that seat, is suffering. Has anyone got any recommendations, apart from stuffing random bits of material down my trousers?

byegad

Legendary Member
Helen, if you are wearing normal cycling longs try a thin thermal layer like you can buy in most outdoors shops.
This year I'm use some winter weight Altura longs with no problems at this time of the year. Previous winters I've used some Spring/Autumn weight Altura longs with said light weight thermal longs under them. Both options or toasty!

Willow

heat up one of those microwave warmer things and sit on it - we did that at work this week when the heating wasn't working!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not being completely sure of the design of the saddle of a recumbent (or is it a seat if its recumbent?), but could you put a bit of fleece material between you and it? or wear an extra layer - pair of shorts?

MePower

If its a saddle, get a stretchy lycra seat cover and tape the gel hand warmers under it, comfort and warmth! :sad: Might feel like you`ve had a happy wee though :sad:

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
It's a mesh seat rather than a saddle. It's got a foam inlay which I could possibly replace with a heated pad, but my upper thighs (not resting on anything apart from cold, cold winter air) also get cold. I think perhaps a pair of shorts would be wise but I don't have any. Perhaps I'll see if I can find some thermal knee-length undershorts. How fetching!

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Yes, I might think about a fairing (at least part) for next Winter.

Had an interesting problem this morning. I'd been out cycling at 7pm last night in freezing fog (not much fun). When I got the bike out this morning to do my grocery shopping route (14 miles) I realised my rhs brake wasn't working. I got Uncle James to sort it out for me which involved lots of oil down the cable as it had corroded a little.

He decided to come with me on the shopping trip and off we set, after the hiatus caused by the non-brake. Within 100 yards I realised I had no rear gears! So we went home again, Uncle James moved the mech with his hands whilst I turned the pedals with my hand and it fixed itself. Off we set again.

It was only after I switched onto the big chainring coming down a hill that I realised I may have stored up trouble for myself on the return trip, going up the hill. And indeed I had, the front chainring gear changer wasn't working either, now! Fortunately if I leaned forward in the saddle and pushed the widget it would change down.

The bike could clearly do with a good oil and general service, but I wonder if I'm going to have the same problem when I leave home at 9am tomorrow morning to go to choir practice before the church service. Do bikes become unserviceable in cold weather? Is this just because I went out in freezing fog the night before and the bike got very damp?

On another note, I still had cold buttocks and upper thighs today ;)

Top Bottom