A trip to the tip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Done well there!

E

Euan Uzami

look a lot like the bike i've just done up.
how mechanically sound is it?

OP
OP
B

bagpuss

Guru
It just needs Air in the tyres and the brakes adjusting.Frame is sound,wheels true. A wipe down was an oily rag and bingo

ChrisKH

Guru
Our dump won't let you take anything away. Not even for a price. If it's salvagable they sell it on. I don't see any corresponding reduction in my council tax though. But it does stop the council employees running a personal shop for dumped items.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't get anything from my tip - you don't even see any bikes !

E

Euan Uzami

bagpuss said:
It just needs Air in the tyres and the brakes adjusting.Frame is sound,wheels true. A wipe down was an oily rag and bingo

tried the gears yet? :biggrin: if they work without replacing owt you're in luck - good find!

wheels - while true, if anything like the ones i took off mine are probably very heavy (i'm guessing 'cos they always used to make the rims out of steel rather than alloy?)
Might not faze you to just lift the bike up as a complete bike, but take the wheel off that and one off a more modern road bike and hold one in each hand to compare - you'll be shocked!

oh and check the tyres for splits/cracks in the sidewall. long time stored/dumped can 'harden' / decay rubber, especially when no air in tyres (weight of wheel on a crease, etc.)

E

Euan Uzami

ChrisKH said:
Our dump won't let you take anything away. Not even for a price. If it's salvagable they sell it on. I don't see any corresponding reduction in my council tax though. But it does stop the council employees running a personal shop for dumped items.

fossyant said:
Can't get anything from my tip - you don't even see any bikes !

you two should threaten your tip with taking your loyal custom elsewhere!
they'll be begging you to stay:biggrin::rolleyes:(probably not)

The grease in the major bearings is likely to have degraded to gunge since it was last serviced, they'll feel ok when you spin them but you may bugger them for good if you ride it.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Nothing much at the local tip today, one complete cheap full-susser (I did think, briefly, snow bike!).

There's a training frame down there now with the world's most stuck BB, hope no bugger tries to liberate that.

OP
OP
B

bagpuss

Guru
Started Cleaning it up.Chrome on front forks coming up fairly well,some minor pitting.Yep tyres have had it. I shall change the steel chrome wheels for alloy ones at some stage. I have plenty of 27X1 14 wheels & tyres.Once its is finished I will post another picture.It maybe a while as I have about 4 other projects on the go.

Top Bottom