A very familiar sounding story being reported on in my local rag.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tragic, indeed ...

As usual, the mind boggles at how a driver can admit to driving into a cyclist who they admit to not seeing, but then deny being careless! :wacko::cursing:

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
10:1 says she walks away with a slap on the wrist at most.

I'd take that bet. The scariest thing, from my perspective, is that I was hit in more or less exactly the same place, in the same way, on a ride last year. I got fired into the hedge, and missed the kerb (just). I wouldn't mind, but the visibility at that point, in both directions, is clear for a very long distance. The junction isn't oblique, I just can't understand why Darwin hasn't dealt with this sort of driver.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
If you are going straight across a junction, why would all your focus be on a car on the other side of that junction which is turning left and therefore not going to affect your progress at all ?

Clanghead

Yes, that's my local rag and I saw that this morning. Very sad.
The report includes:
"Prosecutor Simon Edwards told Southampton Crown Court that he had been wearing a high visibility jacket and crash helmet and visibility was good."​
Obv the hi-viz and visibility conditions are relevant, but is the mentioned of the "crash helmet" trying to imply that therefore the victim was a responsible cyclist, to improve the case for the prosecution?

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Remind me again what the guy on the bike got, oh yeah a death sentence the most she will get is a couple of years ban and a heavy fine.
If this junction is bad she should have taken more care.
I was taken out at this junction last year, it's feck all, in comparison to some of the nasty oblique, obstructed, piss poor, ancient junctions, that I've ridden past in North Dorset. I've never had a problem at those ones. There have been a lot of cyclist / car accidents at the junction in question. I honestly despair, it's well positioned, the visibility is good in both directions (weather dependent). It would take a monumental tosser to hit anything at that junction, it would seem the local driver population, may be somewhat lacking in basic cognitive abilities.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's not even a bollocking, more a finger wagging.

And how can the junction be dangerous? Stand there where there are no cars on it and it's safe and benign as any other piece of real estate. It's the idiots that use it that create the danger, and when those people step beyond merely creating danger into the realm of harming or killing people, as this lady did, they should be properly punished for it.

G-Zero

Über Member
That's not even a bollocking, more a finger wagging.

And how can the junction be dangerous? Stand there where there are no cars on it and it's safe and benign as any other piece of real estate. It's the idiots that use it that create the danger, and when those people step beyond merely creating danger into the realm of harming or killing people, as this lady did, they should be properly punished for it.

Again ?

It's not just cars and no one will argue that a totally empty junction is not dangerous, but we don't live in a world devoid of traffic and have to share the same bits of road and on occasion the volume and nature of that traffic will make it dangerous for more vulnerable road users.
Whether you like it or not, it's sometimes the cyclists and pedestrians that are the idiotic factor and no matter how much one harps on about others describing a road or junction as dangerous, will not make it physically any more or less dangerous.

Top Bottom