A very, very, very, very, very bad day!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

Yesterday i was sat at work doing some paperwork when the phone rang, a woman called Angela said hello and proceeded to tell me that she was with my wife in a local park close to our home. My wife had tried to stop my little boy from falling off his bike and in doing so got her bag tangled in the handlebars causing her to unbalance her self and fall flat on her face onto a concrete path. The woman said there was a lot of blood and my wife had a bump the size of a grapefruit on her forehead. "can you get here as quick as possible" she said. "Ill be there as soon as i can i replied." Now as you can imagine at this point im very worried, but what put that worry into stratospheric territory was the fact that my wife is 7 month pregnant with our 2nd child. My wife is everything to me...my best friend, my life, my laughter.....children with her make life just seem a thousand fold better.
As soon as i put the phone down i remembered i had come to work on the bike as i always do ....the park is 10 mile from my office. I quickly rang an ambulance and she was rushed to hospital. It was the only time i have really cursed my bike and th fact that i had ever taken it up

To cut a long story short we had to go to the plastic surgery unit where they stitched her torn lips back together. and dressed the rest of her facial wounds. They assessed the baby and decided that no damage had been done...i cant tell you how that feels...literally i just cant put it into words.

She is in bed now, sore tired and emotional. im taking a few mins to have a break as its been a traumatic 24 hrs. I thought writing it down might somehow unburden myself and make me relax so here i am. Everything seems fine now and life can gradually get back to normal as her wounds begin to heal. We can thankfully also look forward to the birth of our second baby in november....hurraaahhh!

This next part you may think is a little sick to even think about but it astounded me what a person could do physicaly when pushed by fear and love........
As i was cycling from the office to where she had left the car i could feel my lungs almost bursting and had to force myself to stop from being sick with the sustained effort. This morning i got the bike from the car a put it away in the garage .....the time for 10 mile showed 24mins ....now either my cycle computer his faulty or that is a personal best im never going to beat. My usual time for 10 mile is about 36 mins

Sorry to read the bad news, gtgf! Happily she's recovering with no long-term ill effects, and better still that no. 2 seems to be healthy.
It's times like that that puts life and values into perspective.
Good luck to you all.
BTW, I think your bike computer must be on the blink! :ohmy:
No, but seriously, once the adrenalin and emotional feelings are surging round our bodies and minds, there's no knowing what we are capable of.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Glad to hear she's kinda OK......

You will probably get the UCI round in the next few days to dope test you......

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It's only when stuff like this happens that you get a glimpse of how important certain people are to us. I'm so glad your wife's doing okay - you all just need to get over the shock, don't you really!! All my best wishes.

stevenb

Dayvo said:
Sorry to read the bad news, gtgf! Happily she's recovering with no long-term ill effects, and better still that no. 2 seems to be healthy.
It's times like that that puts life and values into perspective.
Good luck to you all.
BTW, I think your bike computer must be on the blink! :ohmy:
No, but seriously, once the adrenalin and emotional feelings are surging round our bodies and minds, there's no knowing what we are capable of.

Same thoughts from me too matey.
Hope ths missus makes a quick recovery.
Roll on November.....:biggrin:

bonj2

Glad to hear your wife's ok - sounds nasty.
But if in the future you get a phone call saying something similar's happened just before you're about to enter a race, then I'd advise carrying on with the race.

Pete

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Perhaps, seeing as it looks like no permanent harm done, in the years to come the two of you (and your son, if he remembers!) will look back on this day and remember with a smile! One tends to do that: you remember the panic you were in and how it all came out OK in the end. I can remember rushing our son, then aged four, to hospital with a serious infection, the mad panic we were in. All came right in the end.

Obviously two things on your mind, hope this may ease your worries. One must be, will your wife have scars? Hope that the fact that she has been seen so promptly by plastic surgery and stitched up, the answer will be no. I have had two lots of facial injuries from cycling 'off's. The first time, I was stitched and there is no scar showing. The more recent time, I was merely superglued, and I think the scar is going to persist (though, at my age and with my questionable looks, it don't matter :o). I hope that for your wife this comes out right, it's not the sort of thing that a young lady deserves...

The second big worry for you must be the baby. Don't fret, they are pretty well padded in there! It's emotional trauma that often causes problems, hopefully you have both got over the emotional bit and are settling down to the recovery process. Junior should be OK. I assume your other lad came through this OK.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

Thanks everyone your comments mean a lot even if i have never met any of you and likely never will.

The Surgeon said the wife will have a scar running from the bottom of lip to bottom of nostril (she effectively tore open the whole of her upper lip, so you could see the teeth through it) but should only be very thin as he has stitched very tight and this reduces the scaring.

The little fella is fine a few grazes on his head but nothing to worry about.

the emotional bit i think will be the worst of it - but given a few weeks we will probably be laughing and teasing each other about it.

The bike/time thing was obviously a freak of nature and will probably never be repeated. Unless of course someone knows where i can get hold of 50 gallons of EPO

stevenb

Sounds nasty indeed mate.
Have a positive outlook on it....scars can be sexy......
Glad the lit'lun is ok. :ohmy:

Whereabouts are you in the UK matey?

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

stevenb said:
Sounds nasty indeed mate.
Have a positive outlook on it....scars can be sexy......
Glad the lit'lun is ok. :ohmy:

Whereabouts are you in the UK matey?

we're in Yarm in Cleveland mate, lived here for about 2 year. we transfered over here with my job. used to live in the Lakes.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:

Did you turn green, get huge muscles, and start moving in slow motion :biggrin::ohmy::biggrin:

Top Bottom