A warranty question, your opinions requested.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Good show! I didn't quite catch the name of that shop, could you repeat please?

BROADRIBBS CYCLES BICESTER!!! What? Are you deaf or summat?

More seriously, I would have been very disappointed if they had not sorted things out for you.:smile:

I would have had to assert myself, if they had incurred my displeasure by not giving me satisfaction, I would've had to smite them quite roughly.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
BROADRIBBS CYCLES BICESTER!!! What? Are you deaf or summat?

I would have had to assert myself, if they had incurred my displeasure by not giving me satisfaction, I would had to smite them quite roughly.

And at 3' 36'' tall you probably pack a powerfull smite.^_^

Glad they fixed it and hope its not a recurring problem.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Sorry to drag this up again, but whilst out on a ride today, 17 miles from home another spoke went on the same wheel. Fortunately for me it was in Summertown, near Oxford, very near a bike shop, and they in return for some financial consideration, repaired it for me with a new spoke in the space of ten minutes, and I was on my way again. Good service methinks.

Anyway, should I be concerned about this wheel, and or the spokes and the quality thereof?

The spokes are :WTB 15g/14g Black Stainless with Brass Nipples
The rims are : WTB SX-17 700c, 32 Hole with Eyelets
The hub :SRAM 506 Alloy, Double Sealed Bearing Hub, 32 Hole

Do you think that the shop from whom I bought the bike should investigate the integrity of the wheel?

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Update:

Finally got to take the wheel in to LBS today, and after some consultation they decided to telephone the distributor of Whyte bikes ATB. They are going to replace the wheel. Long story short, it would appear that the wheels are "machine "made and the spokes were not lubricated when they were put into the rims and on some 2012 bikes the spokes and it possible the spokes have twisted. ATB are sending a new hand built wheel under warranty, which will be delivered next week..

on the road

Über Member
Good result.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another update: it's become a bit of a saga this;

I took the bike in the today to the LBS, and they fitted the cassette and disc brake to the new hand built wheel, whilst I went shopping. I returned an hour later to collect the bike and it was all done, it looked lovely with new black spokes and black nipples (tee hee I typed nipples ...snigger), however the front wheel has silver spokes and nipples so now the wheels are odd! After further negotiations ATB are sending new spokes and nipples (hehehe) and the LBS are going to rebuild the wheel! Which is probably as well, because if the rear wheel was iffy, then the front might be the same.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yet another update.

Today I collected the front wheel, which the distributor and the LBS agreed to rebuild to match the rear rebuilt wheel. So I now have two matching hand built wheels with new black spokes, and I got two new hubs as part of the deal as well.

Whilst I'm a but miffed about the inconvenience, and the fact that one should not have to have new wheels rebuilt, I am delighted with the service I got from my LBS Broadribss Cycles in Bicester, I am also pleased with the way the Distributor ABT dealt with my issues as well.

I am now going for a ride in the freezing cold on my newly built wheels.

Crankarm

Guru
Yet another update.

Today I collected the front wheel, which the distributor and the LBS agreed to rebuild to match the rear rebuilt wheel. So I now have two matching hand built wheels with new black spokes, and I got two new hubs as part of the deal as well.

Whilst I'm a but miffed about the inconvenience, and the fact that one should not have to have new wheels rebuilt, I am delighted with the service I got from my LBS Broadribss Cycles in Bicester, I am also pleased with the way the Distributor ABT dealt with my issues as well.

I am now going for a ride in the freezing cold on my newly built wheels.

Be sure to update us after a few hundred miles to tell us whether the wheels are still true or whether further spokes have broken.

Top Bottom