A waste?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I can see the point of putting a little money away for a rainy day/retirement. I can see the point of not spending beyond your means. But:ohmy:

A man who sometimes held his coat together with safety pins and had a long-time habit of foraging for firewood also had a knack for picking stocks — a talent that became public after his death when he bequeathed $6 million to his local library and hospital.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/man-lived...ons-surprise-donations-135358404.html#O4Uz7Ob

But do some take it too far and lead a miserable existence saving up money for someone else to use? Not in the same league as the guy in the story but quite a few of the older generation of my family literally took no enjoyment from life at all and then left large sums of money behind them.

enjoy it while you can i say .... no pockets in a shroud , as they say

Levo-Lon

Guru
Old tramp hermet type guy died some years ago in a local village to me ,Maxey !northborough maybe but after his death a rare early Bugatti was found in his garage,woth a fortune..maybe he just liked being the way he was.

I cant find anything of value in my garage or house to be honest..and im cheap and cheerful so thats that then :sad:

screenman

Legendary Member
His money his choice, we have that happen often in this county, maybe not quite as much but many still have a lot of dosh.

gbb

Legendary Member
We had a guy at work a few years ago, so frikkin tight it was unbelieveable. Good job, his own house etc, but spend 20p, not a chance.
He used to buy batteries in the old cellophane wrapping. He's undo it very carefully, use the new ones, insert the old ones (he always used the same type for this reason) back in the wrapping, carefully glued it down...then returned them to the shop to get a different...and free...pack of batteries, on the grounds he'd brought the wrong ones.
His car needed new wiper blades for its MOT. He brought some, got the MOT, took them back off and returned them to the shop for his money back. :whistle:
He had a well known brand of matress (so well known, I can't remember it :tongue:)....it had a 25 year warranty. He contacted them after 24 years saying it was lumpy. They replaced it, he was ecstatic.
He was minted reputedly, not a millionaire, but well sorted.
We used to laugh at him, wonder how can you be so tight and be happy. Quite simply, he was VERY happy doing what he did. Its what made him tick.

Drago

Legendary Member
Some people have figured that true fulfilment ha nothing to do with money. The child's laughter, the cycle ride home through the country lanes at a crisp and frosty 1am, a beautiful piece of music. None of these are things that money can bring.

Top Bottom