A weedy sentence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
So when driving into a low sun, it's ok to break the speed limit by 50%. :cursing:
I truly despair of the leniency of the modern "justice" system. Lost for words (or at least words that wouldn't get me a thread ban).

Brandane

Legendary Member
The Judge's comments:

“I hope all motorists take heed of this tragic tale and recognise the importance of adhering to road safety measures and speed limits because failure to do so all too often has fatal consequences and rips people’s lives apart.”

Sadly the consequences for the driver are not quite as severe though, are they, Judge?

If you speed up, the low sun becomes a high sun and then you can slow down to normal speed. As we all know the sun is not that far way.

ps. the twisted logic one has to invent to overcome the disappointment.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Judge's comments:

Sadly the consequences for the driver are not quite as severe though, are they, Judge?

Were I a member of the family, I would have a go at the unduly lenient sentence referral scheme.

I'm not sure if death by dangerous is a qualifying offence, but it's only an email with a few case details, so worth a punt.

https://www.gov.uk/ask-crown-court-sentence-review

Drago

Legendary Member
Why drive forward at all if you cant see?

And just as bad, she'll be free to drive again before long. It should have been a manslaughter charge, as the death was the result of a deliberate act of breaking several different laws.

Indeed, the law is an ass - it is reasonably foreseeable to any sane person that to exceed the speed limit by 50%, and do so while driving blind, is very likely to result in someone being killed. That being the case it should be murder 3 like in parts of the US.

The poor widower puts it very succintly, and we all get to grind out gears while horrendous actions have minmal consequences and offender pkay the sustem to reduce any likely punishment. It sucks.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
You can't bring back a life, but she should be banned from driving for the rest of her life.
You can't bring back a life, true. But you can protect existing lives by sending out a strong message. This sentence tells drivers not to worry about speeding into a low sun, because sh1t happens, and if you kill a cyclist then you will get a slap on the wrist.

Drago

Legendary Member
In effect, she has no punishment other than the ban.

The suspended sentence won't be acrivated unless she appears in front of a court for a kindred offence, and if shes not behind the wheel that won't happen.

So in practical terms her punishment for deliberate driving at great soeed while unable to see ahead and taking the life of an innocent, decent member of society, is a driving ban.

Yet fraudulent steal a few hundred grand from your emplyer and recent cases suggest 8 or 10 years is likely. The loss of money orten garners a greater punishment than the loss of life.

A comparable crime in Pennsylvania where I worked could earn you up to 40 years in chokey. If the deterrent aspect of that fails to work, then at least the law abiding public will be safe from them for a goodly period of time, and victims families and loved ones may at least feel that some semblance of justice has been done.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
"Whilst Ms Hamer did plead guilty this was done in the face of overwhelming evidence and in the knowledge that by pleading guilty her sentence would be reduced."

A terrible stain on her character in addition to the outrageous leniency of the sentence.

In just 30 months time, pending an advanced driving re-test, she gets to live a normal life just as the moment before she hit the victim, potentially to repeat her brazen disregard for other road users and cause terrible injuries and death.

It is true nothing can ever bring the victim back, but this act of "justice" does nothing to deter her or others from repeating the same acts of negligence and recklessness...

An absolute disgrace.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In effect, she has no punishment other than the ban.

The curfew, you forgot the curfew.

Then there's the swingeing penalty of some community hours.

Actually, she might not enjoy the hours because she may have to consort with similarly selfish anti-social peanuts like herself.

Although as a vulnerable woman, they will probably sort her a few cushy shifts in a charity shop.

Top Bottom