A weird electrical 'conundrum'.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We have a wall mounted electric fire. It can be switched off at the wall but we tend to use the panel on the front........no probems.

A neighbour has loaned us a REVITIVE leg/foot massager which has a remote.

Yesterday we found out that when we use the REVITIVE remote it switches the fire on and off which is a pita.
I can get round it but is that a common type of problem ??

Congratulations - you now have a remote for your fire !

If I were you I'd either look at putting something like tin foil over the panel on the fire or using the spa thing in another room or keeping the fire off at the wall ?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Congratulations - you now have a remote for your fire !

If I were you I'd either look at putting something like tin foil over the panel on the fire or using the spa thing in another room or keeping the fire off at the wall ?

Yes.....how/why does it happen ?

a.twiddler

Veteran
When we were first married we had a Baird TV (Radio Rentals) which would turn itself off or change channels if you unscrewed the top of a bottle of anything fizzy near it. I assume the remote used ultrasound, though I never heard of remotes causing anyone's dog any distress. Since then we've had infra red and now probably wireless but there's still that problem of things being unexpectedly controlled by random signals.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
My neighbour’s TV was situated in his bay window. If I stood in my bay window, I could change his Sky channel with my remote - which I regularly did - usually when he was watching the football and someone was about to score.

He's since moved. Can't imagine why :whistle:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We have a wall mounted electric fire. It can be switched off at the wall but we tend to use the panel on the front........no probems.

A neighbour has loaned us a REVITIVE leg/foot massager which has a remote.

Yesterday we found out that when we use the REVITIVE remote it switches the fire on and off which is a pita.
I can get round it but is that a common type of problem ??

My dad has a remote controlled electric fire whose control also changes the Tv channel

D

Deleted member 1258

When we first got remotes for TV's the TV repair place I worked for had one TV back because it changed channels if he rattled the change in his pocket, it would do it in the workshop as well.

Years ago, my mates car alarm was faulty so he didn't use it, but it would regularly get set by other cars in a car park and he couldn't unset it from his fob.

Many, many times we'd open the door only for the alarm to sound, which we could only stop by twiddling wires under the bonnet.

Not once did anyone even look at us in a suspicious way, never mind challenge us or report us for nicking it.

Gwylan

Veteran
Che
Yes.....how/why does it happen ?

Cheapo remote control stuff with rubbish signal differentiation and frequency management.
Doesn't stop the Chinese scroats from putting EU and DIN labels on it. Never been near a test house.

Residual experience in early Bluetooth and other remote controls.

Our, too expensive, TV remote also controls the fake electric fire too.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Years ago, my mates car alarm was faulty so he didn't use it, but it would regularly get set by other cars in a car park and he couldn't unset it from his fob.

Many, many times we'd open the door only for the alarm to sound, which we could only stop by twiddling wires under the bonnet.

Not once did anyone even look at us in a suspicious way, never mind challenge us or report us for nicking it.

We used to know the touroid season had started in earnest by the continual chorus of car alarms. Nobody ever paid attention to them.
In those days here a lot of local people never ever locked their cars. Sometimes one got “ borrowed” if somebody was a long way from home after say a dance but that was not theft in the usual sense and the car was recovered undamaged sometimes with more fuel in it as well.
On the ferries there is a continual sounding of car alarms from the car deck but since the doors are locked there is no access.

Top Bottom