A weird thing happened out on my bike today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Went out at lunch today for a quick blast within an hour, my normal lunch routine. I changed my route slightly as it's the school holidays and there is a stretch of A road I wanted to try. So I go out, do this new bit as fast as I can, really working my legs into the headwind. Now, I pull off the A road and start home and Im knackered. I took out 750ml of squash with me, but I had finished nearly all that by about mile 5. I popped my helmet off to get some air on my head along a quiet back road... and the next thing I know, Im home - but I dont remember getting there. From what I can tell, there is about 3 miles or so that I just dont remember cycling. My helmet was back on too.

Have I drifted off awake and gone into autopilot?

I've had a moderately busy weekend. A wedding reception on Friday night, host and cooked a massive family BBQ on Saturday and spring cleaned the house of clutter on Sunday. The weekend involved a fair amount of booze and lots of 'bad' foods, plus I havent been sleeping well. I ate 2 slices of toast and 2 coffees for breakfast but nothing else before riding out.

Pretty annoyed and slightly freaked out.

Yep autopilot, I do it if I am going long distance in the rain, I have managed more than 40 miles on autopilot before in pelting rain.

ohnovino

Large Member
I've done about 5 miles on autopilot once, while under-fueled on a hard ride.

The really annoying thing is that it was through an area where I always get lost, and this appears to have been the one and only time I actually went the right way!

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I've been heading to somewhere from somewhere & it has involved passing my house, I've often found myself walking up my path & wondered WTF!!??!!

Hont

Guru
+1. I often look at the route downloaded from my GPS and can't remember doing half of it.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
you lot are really scary...
the only time i've been sketchy on details is after the sedative they gave me for my gastroscopy. even then i remember waking up and asking for water and getting home (my old man remembers none of that)

but then i'm the type of person that remembers everything about a night out regardless of how much i drink.. finding i've arrived somewhere without realising it.. wow i just couldn't imagine that. :ohmy:

NeilEB

i've done that before in the car, particularly on long motorway drives.

"What? HOw am I at junction 4 already, I'm sure I just passed junction 15" etc

Put it down to tiredness combined with doing an activity that is common and familiar to you.

Top Bottom