A what would you do if you were me question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
As some of you may know at Halfords we run kids bike workshops, and over the years this has become my job. Not wanting to be overly modest I am very good at it and it's usually a lot of fun.
Recently however, I was passed over for a promotion to full time because it was a bike hut job, and went to someone with "more technical experience" than me.
Given that I was somewhat peed off, I decided to protest by opting for a "that's above my pay grade" approach to work. I flat out refused to do the last workshop, but nobody turned up anyway, but I haven't been able to wriggle out of this one.
My attempts to push the preparation off on to the bike team have been met with resistance and as a result nothing is ready and there will be a dozen brownies arriving at 6pm.
Usually I'd pack up all the goodie bags, organise all the kit, set up and do all the talking while my bike hut assistant puts his spanner where I tell him!
This time I think it's only fair that he, with his superior technical experience, be the one to do the bulk of the work.
So, question is - would you run around pulling it all together and deliver a workshop of your usual high standard, or sit back, do very little and watch it all go to pot.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I think the mature answer would be the first one. However, I'd do the second and kick back with a bag of popcorn and a smug "told you so" expression on my face if it were me!

Joffey

Big Dosser
I'd have a talk with your manager first to explain what you do over and above 'your pay grade' and ask for those tasks to be taken from you if you don't want to do them anymore rather than being disruptive. This will only look bad on you, not your bike hut colleagues.

matiz

Guru
You say you enjoy the job and it's usually a lot of fun,what else would you be doing instead ,I would do it to the best of my ability(not wanting to disappoint a dozen brownies) then talk to the boss about how to get the skills needed for promotion, if I still wasn't happy I would be looking for another job,but be careful not to give them cause to give you the boot for troublemaking.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If it was going to be adults being let down with a disappointing workshop, I'd give them the finger, as above. As its kids, no.

But maybe note how long you spend doing the prep for it, how long your 'more technical' colleague spent, and then have a chat with the manager afterwards, pointing out that you are not paid for this, but your colleagues refused to do it. If that fails, then what matiz said. Could also point out that the only reason you did it was not to disappoint the kids.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Wish I could help. I had a job years ago with a similar problem to yours. It was made clear to me that things would not change, so I changed things and left. Jobs were easy to find then in my trade.
I'm working on that! Applying for anything and everything at the moment.
@matiz I've made my feelings very clear to management already. And to be honest I don't want to go on a cycle tech course, I just want to be paid the same as others who do much less than me!
When I first started helping with the workshops it was as "crowd control" because I come from a child care background, and keeping the little beggars in order is something I'm very good at. All the technical stuff was done by someone from bike hut. Obviously over the years I've learned a lot more and I can do the whole gig on my own - and have done - but I don't like to. I used to have a partner and we worked fantastically well together, but he jumped ship and since then it's been hit and miss who will get roped into helping so I've had to take the lead. I don't think anyone realises how much prep I actually do and I've just got to the point where I want to say "this is not ok"
I'm hoping that if I get everything ready I can say to the other bloke "over to you" and take a back seat!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'd have a talk with your manager first to explain what you do over and above 'your pay grade' and ask for those tasks to be taken from you if you don't want to do them anymore rather than being disruptive. This will only look bad on you, not your bike hut colleagues.

This x 100

Go and talk to your manager. Tell them you are really committed to Halfords but feel a bit let down by being looked over for the promotion. Tell them that you do stuff above and beyond your responsibilities but as a result of being overlooked you feel unmotivated to keep doing this. Don't threaten not to do it, just say you're feeling unmotivated

Make it a problem for your manager, not for you

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Bad managers take the path of least resistance. So if something needs changing they do the easiest bit. If they need someone to change a contract or to swap a shift or something extra doing they go for the low hanging fruit - call them them people who can't say no, call them softies, call them the people who a manager can press their emotional buttons and get what they want or maybe other things - there are many slightly different viewpoints of the same phenomenon. If something complicated goes wrong they blame it on the person that is easiest to blame it on or one most likely to accept it.

You need to go back to basics. What do the bits of paper say about your job and the ones you are comparing them to? Role descriptions etc. What requirements do each jobs have. What do the bits of paper about bike workshops themselves say? Do they say it has to be run by particular people? Once you have those answers you can proceed with more confidence.

I'm not sure what not being able to wriggle out of this workshop actually means.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Think carefully about what 'end game' you want - how you would like to see this situation resolved to your satisfaction - and then work back from that to decide what if any actions of yours are most likely to lead to that actually coming about. Try, in short, to be guided by a cool assessment of your long-term self-interest rather than by your quite understandable pissed-offness.

I suspect from what you've said that you're unlikely to get what you want - fair recognition of your contribution, verbally, financially, promotionally - so your options, in truth, are limited. You're the victim of bad management. And will likely remain so. I think if it was me I'd carry on doing it as well as I can - for the brownies, and for my own self-esteem - and redouble my efforts to find something better. Keep it 'powder-dry' for the interviews - 'I like to do things as best I can, regardless, because I'm made that way' sort of thing. Bloody frustrating situation to be in tho' - you have my sympathies.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
You need to go back to basics. What do the bits of paper say about your job and the ones you are comparing them to? Role descriptions etc. What requirements do each jobs have. What do the bits of paper about bike workshops themselves say? Do they say it has to be run by particular people? Once you have those answers you can proceed with more confidence.

I'm not sure what not being able to wriggle out of this workshop actually means
Halfords are very clever when it comes to role description, and it basically says I have to do what I'm asked! My argument, however, is that I am not "bike hut" and others are. The instruction for the workshop itself say it is to be run by a person capable of doing so, and I can't argue that I don't qualify.
I tried to get out of it by saying it was outside my hours - because I work 9-2, and this is at 6pm. So I was moved to a 2-8pm shift. #backfired.

Think carefully about what 'end game' you want - how you would like to see this situation resolved to your satisfaction - and then work back from that to decide what if any actions of yours are most likely to lead to that actually coming about. Try, in short, to be guided by a cool assessment of your long-term self-interest rather than by your quite understandable pissed-offness.
Much as I'm determined to leave, I do have this at the back of my mind, because I don't want to be sacked or end up in a worse position being given all the shitty jobs.
YOu know I'm just going to man up and get on with it dont you?!

Top Bottom