A what would you do if you were me question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
It depends. If the OP wants to make a career in Halfords and progress then this advice is terrible. If, on the other hand, the OP just wants the job she has and a quiet life then this is what I'd do too
:laugh:
Time was I did want a career there, hence why I worked hard and did more than was asked of me. Over the past few months it has dawned on me that this counts for nought and now I just want to get the hell out of dodge!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
YOu know I'm just going to man up and get on with it dont you?!
Of course. Nice people are suckers, we all know that! :whistle:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
More sensibly, if that's what you've (more or less) decided, factor that into your new 'battle plan': what if anything can you do to ensure that this decision (assuming it is one) works to your advantage to the greatest possible extent? Perhaps you can combine it with 'humorous' asides to your manager that get him/her at least vaguely thinking about what a pain it would be if you weren't taking one for the team...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Halfords are very clever when it comes to role description, and it basically says I have to do what I'm asked! My argument, however, is that I am not "bike hut" and others are. The instruction for the workshop itself say it is to be run by a person capable of doing so, and I can't argue that I don't qualify.
I tried to get out of it by saying it was outside my hours - because I work 9-2, and this is at 6pm. So I was moved to a 2-8pm shift. #backfired.

Such vague flexibility clauses about 'do what we ask' are absolutelydootelytootely standard in retail jobs. It was in my contract. All that means is that it's the equivalent of sirens in paper form for a bad company. I've been there. I've been the person multi-skilled in 10 jobs (sometimes not even trained and therefore shouldn't be doing it) when others sat back and did their own 1 role and were left in peace.

There are numerous interpretations of what you've just told me. I don't necessarily at face value straightaway agree with yours, although obviously you work there so are going to maybe find that odd. I would put it to you without saying any more, that there are many interpretations of a person capable of doing so if it's not explicitly written down that a manager or particular bit of training not everyone has had should do it, and that a flexibility clause in employment contracts are nowhere near as enforceable as employers and sadly employees think they are.

If you are on a flexibility clause on your hours so they can in theory move you to an 2-8pm then this is a problem I've encountered very often, my answer would be how much notice did they give you and did you actually agree? Often these changes are breezed through with much less notice than they should be and are unenforceable. If you aren't on a flexibility clause for hours then it is bang out of order.

As some of you may know at Halfords we run kids bike workshops, and over the years this has become my job. Not wanting to be overly modest I am very good at it and it's usually a lot of fun.
Recently however, I was passed over for a promotion to full time because it was a bike hut job, and went to someone with "more technical experience" than me.
Given that I was somewhat peed off, I decided to protest by opting for a "that's above my pay grade" approach to work. I flat out refused to do the last workshop, but nobody turned up anyway, but I haven't been able to wriggle out of this one.
My attempts to push the preparation off on to the bike team have been met with resistance and as a result nothing is ready and there will be a dozen brownies arriving at 6pm.
Usually I'd pack up all the goodie bags, organise all the kit, set up and do all the talking while my bike hut assistant puts his spanner where I tell him!
This time I think it's only fair that he, with his superior technical experience, be the one to do the bulk of the work.
So, question is - would you run around pulling it all together and deliver a workshop of your usual high standard, or sit back, do very little and watch it all go to pot.

Is there a "competency framework" for the various posts?

Drago

Legendary Member
Presumably the chap with 'more technical experience' than you gained that technical experience because he has benefitted from training opportunities that you have not? That raises questions about fairness, and with you being female also possibly equality.

Or maybe not.

As Spinney rightly points out, this scenario could be viewed from several different perspectives. Are you in a union, or a member of a trade association you could take advice from?

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Is there a "competency framework" for the various posts?
I don't actually know.

Presumably the chap with 'more technical experience' than you gained that technical experience because he has benefitted from training opportunities that you have not? That raises questions about fairness, and with you being female also possibly equality.

Or maybe not.

As Spinney rightly points out, this scenario could be viewed from several different perspectives. Are you in a union, or a member of a trade association you could take advice from?

To be fair, he had more technical knowledge in the bike department when he was employed originally - but as I don't work in bike hut I have never undergone any bike specific training.
My grievance with the whole situation stems from the fact I was specifically told the job wasn't a bike hut role when I expressed an interest in being full time.
which is why I no longer want to be doing "their" jobs.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm retired from the Better Call Saul stuff now but as an ex shop steward and in fact someone who ran a team of retail shop stewards for a while I would say Drago is right. You need advice from a trade union or someone who knows what the Smeg they are talking about. This might be someone else in the company or cab or acas or someone else. Some trade unions are rubbish in some localities and companies.

The more I read the more it sounds familiar and the more I think your colleagues and managers are pressing your emotional buttons.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Why don't you want to go on a course that would give you more certificated skills and so more bargaining power and possibly opportunities within Halfords or other companies?

Put simply, because I don't want to fix bikes for a living. I can sell bikes, I'm passionate about cycling and I can run the workshops, hell, I can run the bike hut!! But I don't want to get my hands dirty for the next 20 years.
Plus, the training they offer is only really valued within Halfords, and even then, well you know:whistle:
The more I read the more it sounds familiar and the more I think your colleagues and managers are pressing your emotional buttons.
This. Definitely. I think they've got very used to me doing pretty much everything and not complaining much. It has come as a shock to some this last month when I've stood up to them. They're going to miss me when I'm gone.

The reason I asked about a competency framework is that they protect both Company and Employee

If you are deemed competent to change a brake cable then that is recorded

If you have not been deemed competent then it is unreasonable to ask you to perform that task without supervision or at least a check on the quality of your work

You could request this supervision and check quite reasonably

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
The reason I asked about a competency framework is that they protect both Company and Employee

If you are deemed competent to change a brake cable then that is recorded

If you have not been deemed competent then it is unreasonable to ask you to perform that task without supervision or at least a check on the quality of your work

You could request this supervision and check quite reasonably
Ah, right. We have our "gears" which is the training programme Halfords use. I've completed gear2 which means I can do most things, and there is a certificate to say so. But my certificate is "auto" and bike hut do a separate one, although I've actually completed both because nobody told me I could choose!

Top Bottom