A wheelie good idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hornet

Hornet

Talking to Bollo last night put me off, but thanks for the thoughts. Plus, i do hae a nearly new pair of Conti's on the bike which it'd be a shame to get rid off too.

OP
OP
Hornet

Hornet

Don't forget a team car!

Gaz, i have the perfect car to use as a team vehicle, just got to persuade the wife to act as driver ;-)

OP
OP
Hornet

Hornet

OK, am thinking of going for these:

Ambrosio Excellight Clincher, 32H with an Ultegra 6700 hub and a combination of Sapim ACI and Laser spokes coming in around £400 from Wheelsmith

good call bad call? Would these be better than the factory shimanos mentioned earlier in the thread?

brockers

Seems expensive when you can get the hubs for £115 and the rims for £110. A couple of years ago these would have cost around £230 (the cost of parts) and the build would have been more or less free. As I said, Derek has whacked up his prices recently and doesn't really offer the value that he used to. For that sort of money, I'd be tempted to go with the factories, unless you can get someone to build them for less!

OP
OP
Hornet

Hornet

interesting you say that as i checked out Harry Rowland - same set up cost £330 (both are including delivery) - i am just going from the price list on the web page - haven't talked to Derek.

So, question is, is £100ish good vfm for someone to build a set of wheels?

And just checked Parkers - could get DT Swiss RR415 rims / spokes on ultegra hubs for aboutu £290, which is tempting.

brockers

Nothing wrong with your choice, but I'd go for lower profile rims. DT 415s (are these double eyelet now?). This isn't an going to be an aero wheelset after all and there's no real advantage in using 30mm rims on a 28 or 32 spoke build apart from thinking they look cool, or that they're making you go faster. They weigh a bomb (well 585g) also. You'd really need to build them with a lower spoke count to justify their use which would necessitate choosing different hubs... The idea of picking components for a handbuilt set is so that you can tailor exactly what characteristics are important for you.

Looks like Parker do F&R DT Swiss 415 on Ultegra for £280. Good, sensible, light, do anything wheels which are cheap to tweak and repair should you need to. Get them.

Then, of course you need to decide if you want them built 3 cross rear; 3 cross, 2 cross, or radial front. Oh, it never ends!

OP
OP
Hornet

Hornet

Yeah, sorry meant 415's - did an edit but didn't mention it.

For me i think the 415's are the ticket - looking forward to getting them now.

You're right, it never, ever ends - perosnally i'm going to live in blissful ignorance of spoke patterns!

brockers

Actually, I've just had a shufty at DT Swiss' website, and it seems that the 415s are single eyelet (which explains their low weight). This is hard to explain in a short time so do a bit of googling. There used to be failures on DT single eyelet rims, but I have a feeling that's been addressed. Speak to Parker about this. It might be even worth getting what some would consider a more 'boring' set of Open Pros (in reality, I rarely see people riding them these days possibly for that reason - so, perversely, you could consider them to be quite different, if that's your thing!). Slightly heavier at 430g, but double eyelet. Also £40 cheaper for the set!

Shame you're not on Campag mind! You could get a set of Open Pro on Record for £320 which is what I've had for 12 years. I've done everything on them; Race, tour and sportives, and they're still my daily drivers because of their comfort and smoothness.

OP
OP
Hornet

Hornet

OK, went for the DT Swiss on Ultegra hubs - got them last week and went for the first ride last night.

They look pretty smart (lots of spokes though!), and was it my imagination (probably), but i felt i had extra acceleration from a standing start :biggrin:

Either way i'm pleased - Parkers were very good as well, probably took around a week to arrive, plus i recieved a £10 gift voucher (immeadiately used to buy some spare inner tubes)......

I'm goign to stop spending now (well, apart from a new saddle maybe, but that's another story)

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Top Bottom