A whisky recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I wasn’t gonna, but this thread has given me an urge to break out the Jura 10yo.
Quality. :okay:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Lagavulin 16. Absolutely delicious. Lots of character and flavor. The best there ever was.

There is a hotel in Oosterhout in the Netherlands that I've stayed in quite a lot. One time I went in and saw a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yo on the shelf. I asked Johnny the barman for one. He free poured (as ever) about 8 shots worth. I paid €2.5.
The bottle was left in the bar after a private party for a local business man. He had no idea if was a pricy drop.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Lagavulin 16. Absolutely delicious. Lots of character and flavor. The best there ever was.

Absolutely delicious!! I wish it was a little less pricey :cry:

I have an acquaintance (a friend of a friend) who is an avid Lagavulin fan and he's got 8-16 in his collection and some of the special editions they release. He grabs a few extra bottles of the special editions every time they come up for sale because he seems to think that they'll be worth some money in years to come.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Absolutely delicious!! I wish it was a little less pricey :cry:

I have an acquaintance (a friend of a friend) who is an avid Lagavulin fan and he's got 8-16 in his collection and some of the special editions they release. He grabs a few extra bottles of the special editions every time they come up for sale because he seems to think that they'll be worth some money in years to come.

I've been a fan of the 16 for decades now. When they came out with the 8 I had to try it, especially given the price. I like it. Unmistakably Lagavulin yet lighter in color and just a tad less peaty and smokey. And I've heard the 8 may become a permanent member of the collection. I also have tried the Distillers Editions. I even have an unopened one in the basement that someone gave me a few years ago. Strangely, I prefer the 16 over the Distillers for some reason. Maybe it's the higher alcohol content that seems a little overpowering of the flavor. I'll always have the 8 and 16 in my bar. As for whiskeys, I've recently started trying American whiskeys and have taken a liking to Clyde May's Alabama Whiskey and their more recent Straight Bourbon. I think I prefer the Whiskey as it's just a little sweeter. Oh, and I drink the Lagavulin either neat or with one small rock. I find one small rock lowers the temp just a tad and the little bit of water brings out the flavor. I'll drink the Clyde May's with either one rock or several. Good stuff.

Shreds

Speysides are easy drinking and generally lighter whiskys. If you like that, then go with your taste. There is a huge amount written about different malts, but regardless of price, go with what suits your own palette.

Aldi do some own brand stuff at prices that wont break the bank.

IMHO for my taste though, Talisker Storm is good, as is Cardhu Gold Reserve

MntnMan62

Über Member
Speysides are easy drinking and generally lighter whiskys. If you like that, then go with your taste. There is a huge amount written about different malts, but regardless of price, go with what suits your own palette.

Agreed. Talisker and Cardhu are both nice scotches. In the US some Costcos sell liquor and their Kirkland brand has a single malt (I think it is, but it could be a blend) that tastes quite nice for the price. I think we are fortunate that there are so many different options available to us. I remember when I was in college when the drinking age was 18 and began drinking vodka, the top shelf option was Absolute. I can't even stomach that stuff now. And there's not reason to even have to. Sometimes we forget how good we have it.

Slick

Guru

Although describing an entire region as diverse as speyside as light and easy to drink is a bit simplistic as there is many that just aren't. :okay:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Speaking of American Whiskys (or bourbons) i heard a lot being said about Makers Mark. I got a bottle but i aint touched it :whistle::whistle:

MntnMan62

Über Member
Speaking of American Whiskys (or bourbons) i heard a lot being said about Makers Mark. I got a bottle but i aint touched it :whistle::whistle:

I like Maker's Mark. It's extremely popular in the US. There is an acoholic on my block who won't drink anything else. All my neighbors keep a bottle in our bars for when he comes over. And actually, the Clyde May's is not all that dissimilar from Maker's. You should crack it open and try it. I have to admit it is quite good.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Jura superstition is peated... I think i have one of those in my collection too somewhere :wacko: Im certain i have that and the elixir.
I can enjoy something a little peaty so long as it has (what I call) a sweet side to it. I just cannot stand full peaty/smokey whisky.

Top Bottom