A whisky recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Any one care to recommend me a whisky?

Or maybe just post your favourite.

I've recently taken to enjoying a glass of Scotch, taken with about an equal amount of tap water.

The bottle I've had lying on the shelf for a couple of years is just about finished.

It has Speyside written on it in large letters, and I'm tempted to look out for another if it's still available.

Recommending any food or drink to another person is difficult, but I want to avoid buying anything too extreme.

If I don't like it, I will be stuck with it for a long time.

No problems spending £20 or £25, but I don't want to do that more than once.

My limited whisky drinking tells me the popular blends - Teachers, Bells, etc - are not worth buying.

Something that could be described as smooth but with flavour is what I'm aiming for.

So far, I've only had a look in Aldi which proved to be a disappointment.

No single malts, and the two blends they had were in a locked glass cabinet with the other spirits.

Presumably that's an anti-theft measure, but it hardly encourages an honest purchase.

Hopefully someone knows of something I can pluck off the shelf in Sainsbury or Tesco.

Slick

Guru
Jura.

There is a load of old codswallop around whisky and flavours but I defy anyone not to enjoy the golden honey of one of our cheaper versions.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Slick

Guru
Jura sounds like it would do, but clicking through on that link takes me to Amazon at £25.

Probably still a reasonable price, but I'm not sure I entirely trust a company that messes around like that.

I plan to have a look in Sainsbury either tomorrow or Monday.

Will check if they have a Jura for a sensible price.
They do, just a couple of quid more. 👍

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Much as I was hoping to immerse myself in the single malt marketing mystique, it does looks as if Grouse is a contender.

A couple of brief descriptions online tally with what's been said on here.

Only thirteen quid for a bottle in Tesco.

Slick

Guru
Much as I was hoping to immerse myself in the single malt marketing mystique, it does looks as if Grouse is a contender.

A couple of brief descriptions online tally with what's been said on here.

Only thirteen quid for a bottle in Tesco.
A good friend of mine who is a huge whisky drinker wouldn't touch anything else. It's very difficult to make a recommendation as it's very much a personal preference.

Personally I wouldn't touch the stuff, but I'm only a part time occasional whisky drinker.

Gunk

Guru
If you are diluting that much I would suggest you try one of the supermarket own brand, Highland, Islay or Speyside. You usually find them for around £25. Islay is a bit more complex and peaty but not everyone’s cup of tea.

Slick

Guru
If you are diluting that much I would suggest you try one of the supermarket own brand, Highland, Islay or Speyside. You usually find them for around £25. Islay is a bit more complex and peaty but not everyone’s cup of tea.
Islay has some of the nicest and without doubt the worst available in its repertoire.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
An examination of my current Speyside bottle shows it is 'selected by Tesco'.

Effectively an own brand, but at least it is distilled and bottled in Scotland.

I like the idea of supporting the whisky industry in Scotland, but accept my money might end up in the coffers of a multi-national unless I buy direct from a privately owned distillery.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Blends you can’t go far wrong with Grouse or Black & White
Malts I love Lagavulin, Talisker, Laphroig.
ive heard that ALDI's Malts are very good.
For someone’s first malt I think a Glenmorangie is quite an easy drinking starter.

Are you me?

Glenmorrangie 10 a good start. Glenmorrangie Quinta Ruben a fine malt.
Glenmorrangie Cellar 13 is splendid.

Laphroig 10 year old suberb.

Lagavulin 16 year old...heavy and Sublime. Great at the end of the night for a couple by the fire.

Top Bottom