A whisky recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
At that price my go to blend is Balantyne's Finest. Consistently scores mid (95/96) nineties in Jim Murray's Whisky book.

I really like it and I would love a dram now. Not going to until the end of the month though!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
You're never going to go wrong with an Old Pulteney. Very a accessible and refined.

Oxford Dave

12 year old Glendronach is my preferred tipple, but hard to find at the moment. Balvennie Double Wood is a good substitute. Currently have Swedish and Welsh whiskies on the shelf but they will be enjoyed only occasionally and slowly. Both were Christmas presents.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Glenmorangie was my go to whisky for a long while and you won't go wrong with the ever drinkable Jura, but then I got into the Islay malts.
I'm a big fan of all the Talisker varieties, but Talisker Skye is exceptional if you add just a drop of water to a glass. RRP is around £40 but it's frequently on offer at around £25. Possibly not for you if you prefer the Speyside whiskies though as the Islay whiskies can be an acquired taste.

That said, I've recently discovered Highland Park 12yo and it is a very, very fine drink indeed and probably more to your tastes. Also frequently on offer at around £25.

As for lining the coffers of a multinational, well they own pretty much all the brands you'll find in the supermarket now... :rolleyes:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Any one care to recommend me a whisky?

Or maybe just post your favourite.

I've recently taken to enjoying a glass of Scotch, taken with about an equal amount of tap water.

The bottle I've had lying on the shelf for a couple of years is just about finished.

It has Speyside written on it in large letters, and I'm tempted to look out for another if it's still available.

Recommending any food or drink to another person is difficult, but I want to avoid buying anything too extreme.

If I don't like it, I will be stuck with it for a long time.

No problems spending £20 or £25, but I don't want to do that more than once.

My limited whisky drinking tells me the popular blends - Teachers, Bells, etc - are not worth buying.

Something that could be described as smooth but with flavour is what I'm aiming for.

So far, I've only had a look in Aldi which proved to be a disappointment.

No single malts, and the two blends they had were in a locked glass cabinet with the other spirits.

Presumably that's an anti-theft measure, but it hardly encourages an honest purchase.

Hopefully someone knows of something I can pluck off the shelf in Sainsbury or Tesco.
Find your local Wetherspoons and sample a few till you find one you like. Cheap scotch is rubbish Glenmorangie is one i like.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If you are taking it with water do not rule a out a good blended one which is £ cheaper. For a blend Aldis 8 year old Highland Black has a good bite https://malt-review.com/2019/08/19/highland-black-8-scotch-whisky
Aldi do a Glen Marnoch Speyside which comes in under budget. I don't usually drink Speysides, finding them a little thin, but the Glen Marnoch Islay is pretty good, aka excellent for the money so the Speyside one might work.

I'm currently sipping a Bunnahabhain. Nowhere near a Speyside.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It seems the Aldi I tried wasn't up to much, having neither of the ones recommended in this thread.

It is one of their bigger and newer branches, but I may try another.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Funnily enough I read this thread on the train home last night with the taste of my last drink still lingering in the palate. That was a Jura, my first go on it and picked out of a small selection at the pub I was in. Was very nice.

I’m quite new to whisky. My go-to is a Glenmorangie although I am starting to broaden my options. I recently had a Talisker which I enjoyed. I am also about 90% of the way through a bottle I was given by my late father-in-law; he was given it as a gift but wasn’t a drinker so put it to one side. When I mentioned I was starting up on whisky he said I could have it. It is a 12yo Aberlour Glenlivet but when he thought about it he recalled it was probably 30 years ago that he’d been given it. Before opening I checked to see if it was rare or worth anything and it isn’t really, so I’m working my way through it.

I usually take a dram with a tiny splash of cold water, always self-administered.

Top Bottom