A worthwhile bike to restore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A ladies' Pioneer looks like the below, so maybe not what you're looking for:

s-l1600.jpg

It's just they're easy to learn on.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There's a fair bit involved if you want to restore an old bike. You'll need to have access to or buy all the tools needed and somewhere to do it.
Have you ever done anything like that before?
It's liable to cost you rather more than buying one in good condition or something newer.
A Cameo style would be fine for what you want albeit a little heavy. No limitations with the frame.
Most of the Pioneers I see on eBay etc just need tidying up so wheels truing, new brake and gear cables, brake pads and tyres. Probably cost around £60-70.

So, update…….I’ve bought myself a super cheap bike from a local guy that I don’t love but will tide me over while I figure out how restore an old bike. Do you think, if I bought an old Raleigh cameo style bike that it could, in time, turn into the bike that I’m after (comfortable city ride, 5-7 gears, able to handle a bit of gravel)? Or are there limitations to what can be achieved with certain frames? And if so, would you all still recommend an old Pioneer? Or something else? Sorry for all the questions, hope you’re still willing to advise despite the slight change of plan! Thank you
O
The reasons I recommended the Pioneer are that it is a reliable bike with reasonable kit on it and there are usually quite a few come up for sale used.

They are by no means the only suitable bike and there are others that would meet your needs. One tip is to avoid older bikes with steel wheel rims...the braking on those is usually rubbish compared to alloy rims.

OP
OP
camdencoffee

camdencoffee

There's a fair bit involved if you want to restore an old bike. You'll need to have access to or buy all the tools needed and somewhere to do it.
Have you ever done anything like that before?
It's liable to cost you rather more than buying one in good condition or something newer.
A Cameo style would be fine for what you want albeit a little heavy. No limitations with the frame.
Most of the Pioneers I see on eBay etc just need tidying up so wheels truing, new brake and gear cables, brake pads and tyres. Probably cost around £60-70.

Nope, never done any bike restoration before, but I’m pretty handy, like a challenge and would really like to learn!

OP
OP
camdencoffee

camdencoffee

O
The reasons I recommended the Pioneer are that it is a reliable bike with reasonable kit on it and there are usually quite a few come up for sale used.

They are by no means the only suitable bike and there are others that would meet your needs. One tip is to avoid older bikes with steel wheel rims...the braking on those is usually rubbish compared to alloy rims.

Yes, that makes sense, thank you!

OP
OP
camdencoffee

camdencoffee

I’m thinking something like this…….
Might not need too much work for a starter project?

Attachments

• C8D35748-FC39-4460-AE42-D2047924DFA5.png
    C8D35748-FC39-4460-AE42-D2047924DFA5.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 2

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nope, never done any bike restoration before, but I’m pretty handy, like a challenge and would really like to learn!
That's the spirit 👍. Okay, now I can see what you want to do.
That Raleigh might be okay but you really need to inspect it before you can say, unless it's got a comprehensive and honest sellers discription :laugh:. Looks to be one of the cheaper basic step throughs and might have steel wheel rims and as @Rusty Nails says they are rubbish especially in the wet (brakes won't work), also might be rather heavy. Those three speed hubs are fine as long as working but if kaput not worth repairing, just replace.
So if you can inspect before buying it's advisable, which is why I say Gumtree would be better.
If it's an older bike say twenty plus years and neglected check the seat post and stem move in the frame, if corroded and stuck in the frame it's junk. And don't buy anything with poor paintwork, it'll be difficult to bring back .

OP
OP
camdencoffee

camdencoffee

That's the spirit 👍. Okay, now I can see what you want to do.
That Raleigh might be okay but you really need to inspect it before you can say, unless it's got a comprehensive and honest sellers discription :laugh:. Looks to be one of the cheaper basic step throughs and might have steel wheel rims and as @Rusty Nails says they are rubbish especially in the wet (brakes won't work), also might be rather heavy. Those three speed hubs are fine as long as working but if kaput not worth repairing, just replace.
So if you can inspect before buying it's advisable, which is why I say Gumtree would be better.
If it's an older bike say twenty plus years and neglected check the seat post and stem move in the frame, if corroded and stuck in the frame it's junk. And don't buy anything with poor paintwork, it'll be difficult to bring back .

Great advice, thank you. I’ll update when I get something!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
There is a huge difference between a restoration and getting things working. I assume you are aiming for the latter which would be much cheaper and easier.

Top Bottom