A worthwhile bike to restore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello, I hope I’m posting in the right place as I’m new!
Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent ladies step through bike that would be worth restoring? I’m getting on a bit so can’t manage to swing my leg over anymore…..
I’m skint, so I’ve been looking on eBay and there seem to be lots of Raleighs (cameo/chiltern) for sale at decent prices. I really need a very upright cycling position - Dutch style - but can’t bring myself to buy a new retro style bike in my price range like the Pendleton etc as they seem just a bit girly and pretentious and are possibly/probably not great quality??
It will mainly be used for local shopping and popping out to meet friends nearby. A few hills and possibly a cut through the cycle paths on Hampstead Heath (quite smooth/tiny bit gravelly).
Would an old Raleigh be a good bet? Is there anything with a few more gears that would be better? Could I convert a 3 speed bike to a 7/8?
Thank you in advance to anyone who might have more of a clue than I do.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome to the forum @camdencoffee.
Raleigh pioneers are quite good, a more upright position with flat or slightly raised handlebars. Plenty of them on e of bay. They normally come with 5, 6, 7 or sometimes 8 speed gearing.

OP
OP
camdencoffee

camdencoffee

Thank you @Paulus. I have just been on the Raleigh website looking at the new ones! Like the ‘grand tour’ and the ‘trail’, but they were out of my price range……..will have a look on eBay now.

Welcome to the forum @camdencoffee.
Raleigh pioneers are quite good, a more upright position with flat or slightly raised handlebars. Plenty of them on e of bay. They normally come with 5, 6, 7 or sometimes 8 speed gearing.

+1 on the Pioneer. A very reliable workhorse that just seem to go on and on. My only comment would be about the handlebars as they tend to come with flat or riser bars and the OP was talking about a Dutch style bike. Easy and not expensive to swap over a flat bar for a slightly swept back one as long as the brake levers/gear shifters fit.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yet another vote for the Raleigh Pioneer, and they do come in a step through. Only downside is that are quite old now so might need a fair bit of work, I'd go for something newer.
I found this on Gumtree in Kentish Town, a year old and £180. I assume you're somewhere near Camden.
Make sure you get the correct size. What is your height and inseam?

IMG_20220918_155424.jpg

Also found this Giant there too. Big name brand with plenty of gears. Looks like the chain is missing though. Easy enough to replace, around £25 from a bike shop.
IMG_20220918_160248.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
camdencoffee

camdencoffee

Oh wow, thank you all for responses!
Yes, I’m quite near Kentish, chose my user name as I happened to be sitting in the Lock having a coffee at the time of registration!
I’m 5’8”, approx 32” inseam.
So I’m thinking I need a 19-20” frame?
Love the look of the green one! The Giant looks huge though!! (Appropriate name!)

OP
OP
camdencoffee

camdencoffee

After further research, the green one looks like a Coyote Windsor?? If so, can get new for £172 🤣 So prob not great quality. But that’s definitely the right shape/riding position I’m after.
But thank you so much for the Gumtree reminder. I hadn’t thought to look there!

Only downside is that are quite old now so might need a fair bit of work, I'd go for something newer.

Pioneers are still in production and have been for 30+ years.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Pioneers are still in production and have been for 30+ years.
Yeah, I was thinking of the steel ones. Of course they continued with an aluminium frame but didn't know they were still available new.
The current model is the Elite ll from around 2009, don't know if it's been superseded but unfortunately not available in a step through :sad:

OP
OP
camdencoffee

camdencoffee

So, update…….I’ve bought myself a super cheap bike from a local guy that I don’t love but will tide me over while I figure out how restore an old bike. Do you think, if I bought an old Raleigh cameo style bike that it could, in time, turn into the bike that I’m after (comfortable city ride, 5-7 gears, able to handle a bit of gravel)? Or are there limitations to what can be achieved with certain frames? And if so, would you all still recommend an old Pioneer? Or something else? Sorry for all the questions, hope you’re still willing to advise despite the slight change of plan! Thank you

Top Bottom