A25, Guildford to Dorking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clivedb

Guru
This is an old thread but has been helpful!

I am trying to find a route from south London (Purley) to the southern edge of Guildford (getting to Shalford would be great). The stretch out from Purley is fine - either towards Box Hill/Dorking or via Tattenham Corner/Leatherhead - but after that I can see little alternative to either the A246 from Leatherhead, or from Dorking on the A25. I think I'll follow Dellzeqq's view on the lethal nature of the A426, so not via Leatherhead, but I can also see what people mean about the narrowness of the A25 west of Dorking- thanks to Google Street View! It looks as if there are really not any other east-west roads as the minor roads seem to link north/south. The only other possibility seems to be the NCR 22(?) but that looks as if it may not be suitable for a road bike. Riding is planned for Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, so neither rush hour nor in the dark.

Advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
This is an old thread but has been helpful!

I am trying to find a route from south London (Purley) to the southern edge of Guildford (getting to Shalford would be great). The stretch out from Purley is fine - either towards Box Hill/Dorking or via Tattenham Corner/Leatherhead - but after that I can see little alternative to either the A246 from Leatherhead, or from Dorking on the A25. I think I'll follow Dellzeqq's view on the lethal nature of the A426, so not via Leatherhead, but I can also see what people mean about the narrowness of the A25 west of Dorking- thanks to Google Street View! It looks as if there are really not any other east-west roads as the minor roads seem to link north/south. The only other possibility seems to be the NCR 22(?) but that looks as if it may not be suitable for a road bike. Riding is planned for Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, so neither rush hour nor in the dark.

Advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

How about heading towards Leatherhead and then taking the minor road through Fetcham and Great Bookham which runs parallel to the A246. You can follow that as far as Effingham before you end up on the A246 itself but if you go along it for a mile you can turn left onto another minor road which heads over the Downs and down Coombe Bottom. This brings you on to the A25 which you can use for about half a mile before turning left onto the A248 and through Alfold. This road is a reasonably quiet A road (at least it was when I used it. This road takes you to Shalford then you can go up the A281 to Guildford.

It is a bit hilly but it does minimise use of the busiest, most intimidating roads. It is unfortunate in this area that the easiest routes through the Downs are taken by the primary commuter roads, so you have to choose between mixing it with fast motor traffic or climbing some significant hills.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

(Clive - you have e-mail)

pretty much what al78 sez, although I'd cut out Shalford and the A281

what can I tell you? You'll be traversing north Surrey, which has nasty fast two lane A roads and minor roads that go up and down like a switchback.

If you're asking me what I would do - presuming I was not in a really foul mood and just relished the challenge of the A246 - I'd go to Effingham Junction and take the train.

The least worst way, in my view, is to get to Banstead and then to Epsom and take the back road in to Leatherhead. then Lower Road to Bookham and Effingham. You then head for Dirtham Lane (beware savage dogs) and take a right on to the A246, go down the hill (the tarmac on the lhs is awful) and turn first left on to Green Dene, which is a lovely road despite the continual up hill for two miles or so. Follow Combe Lane down to the A25 but remember that the second left bend is blind, sharpens and has loose gravel on it - 12mph if you're doing it for the first time.

You can cross the A25 and go in to Shere (points for doing the ford) for a cup of tea, but the service in the teashop is irritating and it's pricey. There are public loos in Shere!

Rejoin the A25, turn left on to the A248 and then right on to Guildford Lane.

Some of this is nice and some is dull, but none of it, bar the downhill stretch of the A246 is terrifying.

Simon

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru

(Clive - you have e-mail)

pretty much what al78 sez, although I'd cut out Shalford and the A281

what can I tell you? You'll be traversing north Surrey, which has nasty fast two lane A roads and minor roads that go up and down like a switchback.

If you're asking me what I would do - presuming I was not in a really foul mood and just relished the challenge of the A246 - I'd go to Effingham Junction and take the train.

The least worst way, in my view, is to get to Banstead and then to Epsom and take the back road in to Leatherhead. then Lower Road to Bookham and Effingham. You then head for Dirtham Lane (beware savage dogs) and take a right on to the A246, go down the hill (the tarmac on the lhs is awful) and turn first left on to Green Dene, which is a lovely road despite the continual up hill for two miles or so. Follow Combe Lane down to the A25 but remember that the second left bend is blind, sharpens and has loose gravel on it - 12mph if you're doing it for the first time.

You can cross the A25 and go in to Shere (points for doing the ford) for a cup of tea, but the service in the teashop is irritating and it's pricey. There are public loos in Shere!

Rejoin the A25, turn left on to the A248 and then right on to Guildford Lane.

Some of this is nice and some is dull, but none of it, bar the downhill stretch of the A246 is terrifying.

Simon

Be aware that the Guildford lane route is a very narrow single track road not wide enough for a bike to pass a car without stopping so if you don't fancy stop start stop start stop start for two miles then I would advise using the main road. In addition, it goes up yet another hill with sharp blind corners thrown in for good measure whereas the main road follows the valley and you can get a decent run of speed on it.

clivedb

Guru
Thanks very much again for the advice. We successfully made the journey out on Saturday and back on Sunday morning.

I can update on a couple of points - the brief section of the A246 between Dirtham Lane and Green Dene has been resurfaced. However, on the way back there was more traffic and the slow drag up the hill made it more alarming than the other way.

I can confirm wild dogs in Dirtham Lane/Calvert Road are still a menace. A friendly looking border collie suddenly decided to try to take a chunk out of my leg - failed fortunately.

Coombe lane up from the A25 is certainly unpleasant - the nasty hairpin bend and steepest bit came after my legs were almost completely sapped of strength and will.

I will try to avoid Leatherhead in the future - one of those towns wrecked by inner ring roads that destroy one's sense of direction and are horrible for cycling.

Lovely weather though and overall pleasant cycling.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I will try to avoid Leatherhead in the future - one of those towns wrecked by inner ring roads that destroy one's sense of direction and are horrible for cycling.

Shame really, as the town centre itself is rather pleasant.

Top Bottom