A25, Guildford to Dorking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
Does anyone here cycle along this road on a regular basis? Once a week after work I have to cycle from Holmbury St Mary to North Holmwood. During BST I use the Leith Hill road but with the dark evenings now I tend to go via the A25. I find this road rather intimidating with the attitudes of some of the motorists on it; I feel like I am getting in everyones way :thumbsup:. I don't have this problem on the other roads I cycle on. Does anyone else have this problem on this particular road?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
al78 said:
Does anyone here cycle along this road on a regular basis? Once a week after work I have to cycle from Holmbury St Mary to North Holmwood. During BST I use the Leith Hill road but with the dark evenings now I tend to go via the A25. I find this road rather intimidating with the attitudes of some of the motorists on it; I feel like I am getting in everyones way :ohmy:. I don't have this problem on the other roads I cycle on. Does anyone else have this problem on this particular road?

Not regularly, but back in the day I used to do a bit of MTB-ing off Leigh Hill, Box hill, Arbinger Hammer...etc and I think I know the section you mean...is it the dual carriage way bit with the grassed central reservation (full of tree's). If so, its really quick (for drivers) and is often treated as a raceway. I'm not sure I would like to ride that road in the dark.

Good luck

thomas

the tank engine
al78 said:
Does anyone here cycle along this road on a regular basis? Once a week after work I have to cycle from Holmbury St Mary to North Holmwood. During BST I use the Leith Hill road but with the dark evenings now I tend to go via the A25. I find this road rather intimidating with the attitudes of some of the motorists on it; I feel like I am getting in everyones way :ohmy:. I don't have this problem on the other roads I cycle on. Does anyone else have this problem on this particular road?

Hey, I used to commute this way about 2 years ago now. I came from Woking, so went out through Send, over New land corner and along.

Some of the motorists who driver along there are terrible. I can't really give any advice other than don't let them scare you, for winter cover yourself in lights like a Christmas tree and just learn where the problem areas are.

One of the great things about that route is that you can hit over 40mph on the hill down before...the town before Dorking...westcott? Do you know the hill I mean?

thomas

the tank engine
jonny jeez said:
Not regularly, but back in the day I used to do a bit of MTB-ing off Leigh Hill, Box hill, Arbinger Hammer...etc and I think I know the section you mean...is it the dual carriage way bit with the grassed central reservation (full of tree's). If so, its really quick (for drivers) and is often treated as a raceway. I'm not sure I would like to ride that road in the dark.

Good luck

The A25 from guildford to Dorking isn't duel carriageway...there are duelcarriageways between dorking and leatherhead.

Certaintly the A25 is very fast single carriageway. It's 60mph most of the way, other than through a small towns where the limit drops to 30mph. Both of which people commmonly exceeded.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
thomas said:
The A25 from guildford to Dorking isn't duel carriageway...there are duelcarriageways between dorking and leatherhead.

You sure?

Link

I could be mistaken tho, I'm not exactley local...

AL78, Thomas is right, I'd go for the Xmas tree approach of you cannot find a route that you feel safer on.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's not a good road, particularly after dark. Mind you, I might be prejudiced by the front wheel flat I got going down the hill near Abinger Hammer in the dark

It's not as bad as the A246, though.

thomas

the tank engine
jonny jeez said:
You sure?

Link

I could be mistaken tho, I'm not exactley local...

AL78, Thomas is right, I'd go for the Xmas tree approach of you cannot find a route that you feel safer on.

That bit is coming down from New Lands. The lane is wide, but there is only one. That bit does have trees in the middle though...and both sides have slip lanes.

Down from newlands is quite fun...can hit the high 30s. It's more fun going the other way down (from Dorking) as you can hit 40+ :biggrin:....it's just a shame that you've got to go up it either way :ohmy:.

When I was working over Christmas I had my helmet camera and got these two videos going to work (I only worked a couple of days):

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sovpdIg5bqA
(this was very scary!)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gP0AZu6hak
(going up new lands)

Here's a really terrible sped up version of the route:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqUHelhG6_Q

Don't let them put you off though :biggrin:.

If you do have problems along the A25 or decide you don't like it maybe try this..

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...51.269111,-0.345039&spn=0.05209,0.154324&z=13

It's about half a mile longer from the look of it. I can vouch that the road from East Clandon down to Fetcham is okay to cycle along. I did it a couple times when going to Leatherhead and didn't have any problems. It was a lot quieter than the A25 (or my normal route to leatherhead).

Though, from point B to C, I don't know...that is duel carriageway in parts, but I'm pretty sure there is an alright off road shared cycle path for the most of it. Maybe check it out on a quieter day?

edit:
It's not as bad as the A246, though.

Hah...didn't see that before I posted. Maybe it's not that great...certainly I only cycled it once or twice and found it to be a bit boring.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
thomas said:
That bit is coming down from New Lands. The lane is wide, but there is only one. That bit does have trees in the middle though...and both sides have slip lanes.

That'll be the bit I was thinking of then, crikey, is that only one lane!! the cars race past on that bit....scarey stuff

thomas

the tank engine
jonny jeez said:
That'll be the bit I was thinking of then, crikey, is that only one lane!! the cars race past on that bit....scarey stuff

I know that speeds of around 70-80mph aren't uncommon and on a dry day, isn't that dangerous. The road is wide enough along there, so unless someone was intentionally trying to intimidate you, you shouldn't have any issues with cars. I was only ever worried about SMIDSY from cars at the side junctions.

I had my best ever overtake along that road. BMW, could have stayed in the lane and passed and could still have given plenty of room, but the other side of the road was empty so they went into it...must have given be about 5-10 meters of passing space :ohmy:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
you're tougher than me, Thomas. There are stretches of the A25 to the west of Dorking that are narrow, and yet cars whizz along at sixty or so...

The A246 is lethal. Our club only uses a quarter of a mile of it, (en route from Leatherhead to Shere) and that's no fun. I've ridden the entire distance on a Sunday morning and wouldn't do it again lightly - in fact I prefer the six lane A3

thomas

the tank engine
dellzeqq said:
you're tougher than me, Thomas. There are stretches of the A25 to the west of Dorking that are narrow, and yet cars whizz along at sixty or so...

The A246 is lethal. Our club only uses a quarter of a mile of it, (en route from Leatherhead to Shere) and that's no fun. I've ridden the entire distance on a Sunday morning and wouldn't do it again lightly - in fact I prefer the six lane A3

Yep, getting nearer to Dorking it gets narrower and cars do the same speed. Certainly I saw a chav have his rear end out on one of the corner.

A246 was fine for me, I did it on a weekday commute. Certainly I did this bit without any problems

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...51.27534,-0.395336&spn=0.052083,0.154324&z=13

A3 would be okay...just take in inside lane for yourself ;)

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
thomas said:
One of the great things about that route is that you can hit over 40mph on the hill down before...the town before Dorking...westcott? Do you know the hill I mean?

Yes I know the one you mean. A 50 meter drop in about a mile, peak gradient 12% I think. It is near the top of that hill where I enter the A25 from a minor road. I always get a little nervous descending it on a folder.

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
thomas said:
If you do have problems along the A25 or decide you don't like it maybe try this..

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...51.269111,-0.345039&spn=0.05209,0.154324&z=13

It's about half a mile longer from the look of it. I can vouch that the road from East Clandon down to Fetcham is okay to cycle along. I did it a couple times when going to Leatherhead and didn't have any problems. It was a lot quieter than the A25 (or my normal route to leatherhead).

Though, from point B to C, I don't know...that is duel carriageway in parts, but I'm pretty sure there is an alright off road shared cycle path for the most of it. Maybe check it out on a quieter day?

edit:

Hah...didn't see that before I posted. Maybe it's not that great...certainly I only cycled it once or twice and found it to be a bit boring.

Thanks, but I don't cycle all the way from Guildford to Dorking; the bit of the A25 I use is from Abinger Hammer eastwards to Dorking.

I did at one time consider going up White Down and along Ranmoor but the 18% climb put me off somewhat.

thomas

the tank engine
al78 said:
Yes I know the one you mean. A 50 meter drop in about a mile, peak gradient 12% I think. It is near the top of that hill where I enter the A25 from a minor road. I always get a little nervous descending it on a folder.

Thanks, but I don't cycle all the way from Guildford to Dorking; the bit of the A25 I use is from Abinger Hammer eastwards to Dorking.

I did at one time consider going up White Down and along Ranmoor but the 18% climb put me off somewhat.

hah. Yeah, white down would be a lovely way to start the day - not!!!!! :angry::biggrin: Funnily enough I never had the urge to go home that way :laugh:

What about coombe bottom? That's fun to go down...just got to be careful about the first corner as it is lethal!

Looked at the map and you don't really have many options. Why don't you just continue to use the back lanes? There aren't any street lights on the main road anyway....

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
thomas said:
hah. Yeah, white down would be a lovely way to start the day - not!!!!! :angry::biggrin: Funnily enough I never had the urge to go home that way :laugh:

What about coombe bottom? That's fun to go down...just got to be careful about the first corner as it is lethal!

Looked at the map and you don't really have many options. Why don't you just continue to use the back lanes? There aren't any street lights on the main road anyway....

I probably will vary the route depending on how I feel at the time, but a few months ago I came off at around 20 mph on the descent from Coldharbour to Dorking when I was trying to slow down for a car coming the other way. I have no idea why it happened as the road was dry, yet the bike seemed to go sideways shortly after I applied the brakes. Needed 12 stitches in my right elbow. This has made me nervous of this hill ever since, especially as a) the roads are full of wet leaves now and :becool: the oncoming car headlights are so bright I momentarily lose sight of the edge of the road.

Perhaps White Down isn't so bad after all :rofl:.

Top Bottom