A48 between A40 and Chepstow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thinking of doing the loop from my place up the A38 to Gloucester (not too busy, cycled it before), over the Severn via the A40 and then down the A48 to Chepstow and back over the bridge.

The aim is really just to get the miles in. If I manage it I'll do a longer version with the southbound leg wandering off into the Forest of Dean.

But for now, my question is, does any one know now busy and/or horrible the A48 would be on a weekday? Or on a Sunday (possibly quieter, although may be more tourists bimbling around then.)

If the verdict is 'horrible' I will rethink. But part of the rationale for the route is that once I'm past Gloucester I can't 'cut across' and take a short cut home!

Shadowfax

Just asked hubby about this as he has done it many times, unfortunately mostly at the weekends, but he did say Banjo is the man to ask.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
I'm getting some miles in to. Ride together from glos back to chepstow mid week next?

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm getting some miles in to. Ride together from glos back to chepstow mid week next?
I'm grossly unfit and may take all day over it! Where are you based? I usually reckon on an average speed (not counting tea breaks) of only about 10 mph on long rides.
(Pacing myself is my excuse...)

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
20miles out of Gloucester.
Actually wanted to be in wales for the up coming strava 7000ft challenge so timing couldn't be better. What's your strava in Pm?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A 48 Is ok getting to it as you leave Gloucester is a busy bit of road , some paths available if wanted. A 48 has a few ups and downs diverting into Forest of Dean generally quite lumpy. Do it enjoy.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
A 48 Is ok getting to it as you leave Gloucester is a busy bit of road , some paths available if wanted. A 48 has a few ups and downs diverting into Forest of Dean generally quite lumpy. Do it enjoy.
Thanks Banjo.
Once I get fitter I'll do a longer version that takes in Cinderford and Parkend etc (lumpier as well as longer, hence my desire to stick to the A48 this time!)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
with the caveat I've only driven your potential route (a lot) - I concur with Banjo - A48 should be fine though the shortish bit of dual carriagway from Gloucester to the A48 roundabout not quite as nice, though should still be Ok. There might even be a separate cyclable footway beside that bit - not sure

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
20miles out of Gloucester.
Actually wanted to be in wales for the up coming strava 7000ft challenge so timing couldn't be better. What's your strava in Pm?
Hi Jason
I don't use strava. That average speed is just from my cycle computer. I'm quite happy to meet up, as long as you are happy to abandon me again if I'm going too slowly for you!

I work at home, so can take a day off when I like - so I'd likely pick a day with a decent weather forecast. PM me if you are still interested.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
with the caveat I've only driven your potential route (a lot) - I concur with Banjo - A48 should be fine though the shortish bit of dual carriagway from Gloucester to the A48 roundabout not quite as nice, though should still be Ok. There might even be a separate cyclable footway beside that bit - not sure
Thanks Prof - I've driven the A40 bit too, and pretty sure there is a cyclepath along the footpath for the worst bit. One reason for doing it anticlockwise is that I don't have to turn right onto the A40 and then turn right off it again!

Pauld100

I did this same ride last Saturday as I live just off the A38, only I did it clockwise. I'd recommend heading off the A38 into Berkeley and down to Thornbury on the back roads as it is much quieter and quite a pleasant ride. From Thornbury it is easy enough to head out to the Severn bridge.

I found the A48 quite busy and a lot of traffic passing closer than I'd like, but probably not dangerously so in hind sight!

I didn't have any issues with the A40 section in Gloucester - clockwise at least there is a bus path along most of it, it is just the 'new' bypass through Gloucester that was busy, which you could easily avoid by heading into town and down Bristol Road instead.

Also I went through Quedgeley rather than down the dual carriageway section on the A38.

Top Bottom