AA calls for crackdown on sharing dashcam video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't ask me, ask Ronnie Pickering! :laugh:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I can see both sides.

On one hand, public roads are.... well... public. So if you are prepared to drive on a public road, surely you accept you may be recorded? And if you do something crazy stupid, I can see the line of thought that it's your fault, and it shouldn't be a problem sharing it.

On the other hand, hands up those of us who have never ever done something stupid when driving a car (or riding a bicycle for that matter). Maybe the only time you make a mistake is when you then happen to get publicly shamed for it? Or as the article suggests, what if you don't do something wrong but the video gives the perspective of you doing something wrong? What if you lose your job over it? And is there some expectation of privacy on a public road anyway? My immediate thought it no there isn't, but what if someone posts a video of you going for a job interview (e.g. you are wearing interview clothes) and you'd told your employer you were on holiday that day?

I think I tend towards thinking that if you are in public, then you can not expect privacy, and if someone takes a picture or has you in video, that's just the way it is. But I'm not 100% sure and could be convinced the other way with decent arguments, so I'll be interested to read the replies.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

spen666

Legendary Member
I can see both sides.

On one hand, public roads are.... well... public. So if you are prepared to drive on a public road, surely you accept you may be recorded? And if you do something crazy stupid, I can see the line of thought that it's your fault, and it shouldn't be a problem sharing it.

On the other hand, hands up those of us who have never ever done something stupid when driving a car (or riding a bicycle for that matter). Maybe the only time you make a mistake is when you then happen to get publicly shamed for it?
could apply the same argument to drivers who kill....its only time they made a mistake its wrong to shame them by prosecuting them....the latter is clearly an unacceptable attitude
Or as the article suggests, what if you don't do something wrong but the video gives the perspective of you doing something wrong?
you can argue that about any footage of anything. Lets ban for example Match of the Day because the camera angle makes it look different to if another camera angle had been used.

If the manipulation is deliberate , then it would be covered by either harassment legislation or even defamation legislation amongst others.
What if you lose your job over it? And is there some expectation of privacy on a public road anyway? My immediate thought it no there isn't, but what if someone posts a video of you going for a job interview (e.g. you are wearing interview clothes) and you'd told your employer you were on holiday that day?
Should lie to your employer then
I think I tend towards thinking that if you are in public, then you can not expect privacy, and if someone takes a picture or has you in video, that's just the way it is. But I'm not 100% sure and could be convinced the other way with decent arguments, so I'll be interested to read the replies.

I can't see the need for any new law.

There is no situation that needs legislating for that is not already covered by legislation.

Why introduce legislation to cover something already properly legislated for?

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
TwickenhamCyclist
I can see both sides.

On the other hand, hands up those of us who have never ever done something stupid when driving a car (or riding a bicycle for that matter). Maybe the only time you make a mistake is when you then happen to get publicly shamed for it? Or as the article suggests, what if you don't do something wrong but the video gives the perspective of you doing something wrong? What if you lose your job over it? And is there some expectation of privacy on a public road anyway? My immediate thought it no there isn't, but what if someone posts a video of you going for a job interview (e.g. you are wearing interview clothes) and you'd told your employer you were on holiday that day?

Fair point... although I think in a lot of cases they reveal the ignorance of the viewer... I can think of a couple of cyclist videos that have backfired where the cyclist was in the right road position for the conditions etc., came across a bellend of a motorist (or policeman) and still go pretty much universal criticism from the great unwashed...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Any thoughts?
I'm sure they're not commenting because AA-branded vehicles committing offences get shared on social media(!)
P1050359.JPG

P1050215.JPG

P1040811.JPG

IMG_6687.JPG

P1040632.JPG

(source)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
"Vehicular Voyerism" It sounds like they are making their own offences up.

I see it does not mention helmet or handlebar cams.

I am not having a go at them as I get fed up of the dross video clips posted on here

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
The problem with this is even if the individual is in the right but is crucified by the uneducated, it can still have a very detrimental effect, rightly or wrongly. It can be the powerful pain and cost we have now when video is so readily available and so prevalent. And I'll say again, even if you are careful driver and a good one, we're all human and make mistakes. I think the biggest problem is that a single video sometimes just can not show a context -and sometimes a context is required to make a good evaluation.

But.... again, I'm still thinking it's a public street.

Fair point... although I think in a lot of cases they reveal the ignorance of the viewer... I can think of a couple of cyclist videos that have backfired where the cyclist was in the right road position for the conditions etc., came across a bellend of a motorist (or policeman) and still go pretty much universal criticism from the great unwashed...

I have recently bought a very cheap dashcam and it's currently set up in the car, although I originally planned to put it in the camper van to record footage on holidays.

I don't have a problem with being filmed by other people, but I drive like a codger and don't get drawn into confrontational situations. And I don't intend to publish footage from the camera, even though I have a couple of examples of truly terrible driving by other people.

I treat the camera as a form of "insurance" in the event of a no fault on my part accident occurring.

What does slightly concern me is the possibility that some dashcam using motorists might, how can I say, go out looking for trouble, or believe that they can drive more aggressively than normal, in the belief that the camera justifies their actions. Especially if they need some new footage to put on their YouTube channel, and to get more "likes". It could be just as bad as talking on the phone, if you are trying to do a piece to camera whilst actually driving. But a crackdown, as per the thread title? I don't think so......

I agree totally

How dare these people post videos showing that AA members drive like muppets

Consider the consequences... something might get done about their awful driving, and that must be unavceptable

Top Bottom