AAAAGH. How heavy is too heavy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I've just packed my panniers as we leave for the big tour on Friday night. :blush:

However, my panniers weigh a TON!! Approx 13kg. I honestly think I've been careful...no sparkly heels, no earrings, I've even left behind the fake tan. I've been quite ruthless but they seem SO heavy.

Is this too much? I'm worried I won't even be able to get Liesl rolling, let alone up a hill.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's about what I took last year but that included tent and minimal cooking stuff. Are you camping? If not maybe you should look to cut down a bit. TBH I'm sure you'll cope and a couple of pounds won't be crucial. Once you're rolling along the weight is no so noticeable.

Brains

Legendary Member
ONE T-shirt, ONE pair of non cycling trousers, Cycling shoes ONLY,

Also find out where the post office is for day three so you can post back half your stuff

How heavy is too heavy ?
Simple can you lift the bike, fully loaded up a flight of stairs ?
If you can't then it's waaaay to heavy

Bigtallfatbloke

13kg sounds light to me...all my gear excluding water botles, bike locks came to 15kg, then on top of that I need to add any food I would carry....I work on a 20kg load, but thta does include my tent and a tv set!

PrettyboyTim

13kg isn't that much really. It will slow you down a bit and hills will be a little harder, but to put it in perspective 13kg is about 2 stone, or about the weight of a very small child. My son weighs about 16kg and it's not difficult riding around with him on the back of my bike. When I used to use the child trailer that would add on at least the same weight again, making the added weight over 30kg. Granted, it was harder going up hills, but that's what granny gears are for!

Edit: Okay, I guess that point about not being able to pick up your bike is a reasonable one when touring...

Say - have you got front and rear panniers, or just rear panniers?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I don't think it will hurt me to 'edit' my packing...I can't do 'one tshirt, 1 pair of shoes' - I'm a flipping girl and I've bought some cute new clothes for the trip - but I'm sure I can cut down somewhere!!!

Brock

I certainly can't life my fully loaded bike up stairs, why would you need to?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Contact the Austrian Tourist Board, they offer a service to carry your luggage ahead for you, so you only have to carry the essentials... :blush: Ok may be it is not every ones idea of touring, but it is an idea... ;)

Good luck and I hope you really enjoy your trip :biggrin:

Drill holes in everything! Including pants! :blush:
When some chums came passing through I couldn't lift either of their bikes off the ground (four panniers apiece...) so 13kg doesn't sound too bad really. But every ounce will count at the end of a long day. You can always have a mid-tour trim and post surplus stuff back home.

Top Bottom