AAAAGH. How heavy is too heavy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Definitely take a novel. The occasional newspaper with a decent crossword is also a good idea every now and then.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Take plenty of eleastic bungy straps so you can pile your panniers onto your husband's bike for the hilly bits.

After all, he agreed to the 'for better or for worse' bit.

By the time he gets to the top of some Alpine pass he'll have a better (further?) understanding of what the 'for worse' clause really meant.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cathryn said:
I've bought some cute new clothes for the trip

Did you buy a skort in the end?

Tim Bennet. said:
Take plenty of eleastic bungy straps so you can pile your panniers onto your husband's bike for the hilly bits.

After all, he agree to the 'for better or for worse' bit.

By the time he gets to the top of some Alpine pass he'll have a better (further?) understanding of what the 'for worse' clause really meant.

I like this idea.... :biggrin:

Cathryn said:
Thanks everyone!!

More packing questions!! I want to take a novel. Should I?

Don't know what they're called in England, or even if they're available, but there is a 'digi book' that can be downloaded into your mobile phone, which is great for a long flight, or other journey, or just 'chilling' in the evening!

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hahaha....love the idea, Tim!!!

Didn't get a skort in the end, but have my minx girl pink gilet has just arrived and it looks damn fine, I'm very excited about it!!!!

Brains

Legendary Member
Brock said:
I certainly can't lift my fully loaded bike up stairs, why would you need to?

The 'flight of stairs' rule came about when a number of years ago we were touring in the far south of France and on the last day we dropped in on a vinyard and bought 1 case of wine for each of the 6 bikes

We then found that it was impossible to lift the bikes up and down the flights of stairs between the train platforms for our train home, so this required 6 bikes to be unloaded, all the kit carried to the bottom of the stairs, everything then carried along the passageway, and the carried up the flight to the platform where the 6 bikes were then loaded up again

As we still had to cycle across Paris and also across half of Kent a solution was required.

We found that with experimentation that a fully loaded touring bike (stove/tent/food/sleeping bag/2 weeks clothes) can carry 7 bottles of wine and still just about be ridden and carried up a short flight of steps.

This left the problem of what do you do with 5 bottles of wine per person and a very long train and boat trip............. but that is another story.

Brock

Ah I see.. Well, your mistake wasn't the weight, it was getting the train. :ohmy:

Top Bottom