aaarrrgghhhh another light question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
Hi all,

I have searched and read and read and searched... and pretty much gone round in circles :biggrin:

I want to get a new front light to give me a chance of survival on unlit country roads... BUT I want it to cost under £50! (cause I am tight :tongue:)

I have looked at the Cateye EL600, seems a broader beam than the EL530/520.

So, if you own a light in this kinda price band and are happy, let me know and hopefully I will enjoy improved night journeys.

Cheers

Johnny

PS - not keen on ones with a separate battery pack, would rather keep to one unit so I can easily remove and put in my bag ;)

Noodley

Hi johhnyh, have a look over in the Accessories and Clothing section, there's a few threads about lights which will maybe help you.

ArDee

Guru
I've a smart system, bit heavy as it has a lead acid battery but there again at the speed i ride it makes little difference. It's 2.5 w wide angle enough for roads with lights or a 10 w spot which is enough for the unlit roads or you can have both on at the same time. Run time for 2.5 w is around 10 hours, 10 w approximately 2.5 hours and both about 2 hours, recharges over night 10 hours. I think it was £25. Just had a look at st John street cycles and it's not for sale any more but they do an electron unit 5 w + 10 w with a Ni-MH battery for £65, might suit you sir.

Noodley

ArDee said:
...an electron unit 5 w + 10 w with a Ni-MH battery for £65, might suit you sir.

I had/have those lights and they're good. I gave it to a mate a few weeks ago along with a bike as he wants to give cycling a go to see how he likes it before he commits some hard-earned cash. The lights served me well for the time I used them on some really dark unlit roads in the winter on my (then) 40 mile round-trip commute. Charged them overnight and they got me there and back every time, at that time of year it would have been 2 and a half hours ride time or thereabouts.

RSV_Ecosse

Tesco Cree 3w AA LED torch + a Twofish Lockblock to mount it.

Tesco cree £10 and lockblock a couple of quid.

Recommended by a tight arsed Scotsman. :tongue:

Or if you are feeling flush, buy two. :wacko:

Job done!

Noodley

I got myself a 3W tesco light and a fishlockblock thingy a few weeks ago to run alongside/instead of my Dinotte light. Due to illness I have not had the chance to use it yet, apart from walking the dog - seems good illumination.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
cheadle hulme said:
Fenix L2D will give the most light for £50. Search here or over on Bikeradar.
£38 from here, lockblocks £7 from same place.

The L2D gives about double the light (on max) of the Tesco 3W, in the form of a bigger spot and brighter halo rather than being much brighter at the beam centre.
The Tesco 3W also has a narrow body, and many rechargeable AA batteries are too fat to fit in.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
johnnyh said:
Hi all,

I have searched and read and read and searched... and pretty much gone round in circles :biggrin:

I want to get a new front light to give me a chance of survival on unlit country roads... BUT I want it to cost under £50! (cause I am tight :biggrin:)

I have looked at the Cateye EL600, seems a broader beam than the EL530/520.

So, if you own a light in this kinda price band and are happy, let me know and hopefully I will enjoy improved night journeys.

Cheers

Johnny

PS - not keen on ones with a separate battery pack, would rather keep to one unit so I can easily remove and put in my bag :sad:

The EL-600 beats the 530 by quite a bit. It's range isn't that good. I'd say it has a more decent vertical range than horizontal range. If you look at screenshots of other systems like the torches or the 2.5/3/5/10W rechargeable systems they get a much better horizontal spread than the EL-600, what's more there are better value lights out there.

Top Bottom