Aaarrrgghhhh 'Round-Robin' letter smugness...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not wanting to steal from Patricks's Christmas card thread (where I wholeheartedly agree with his stand), I would like to have a minor rant about 'Round-Robin' letters that seem to accompany cards these days...

Personally I now put these vacuous, smug, vomit-inducing self aggrandising ego-driven pages of self-congratulatory drivel straight in the bin. Most people who have sent them to me in the past have heard how I find them absolutely nauseous...if they're real friends they'll not bother in the future, if they're offended they're not real friends...if they are family I would know this stuff if interested and if I don't know what they've been up to it's because I don't really care.

I thank you.

Seconded.

Noodley

Crackle said:
May I print that and put it in some of my xmas cards please?

I am sorely tempted to write a card with "thankyou for your card containing the vacuous, smug, vomit-inducing self aggrandising ego-driven pages of self-congratulatory drivel" to anyone who sends me one - I only know one person who sends them every year. I had excused her until now as she's from "the south"

SamNichols

My mum always writes one, this year she almost asked me to write it. I simply said: 'mum, you know if I do it, it will either all be about me, or it'll be a short story, or I'll try and make it funny, which none of your friends will understand.'
I hate them too, and I have no idea why anybody would care that I'm doing an MA, or that dad enjoys triathlons, or that Jenny wants to be an artist. So pointless.

did someone mention a round robin?

2112591935_1aa04f0e8f_b.jpg

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Noodley said:
I am sorely tempted to write a card with "thankyou for your card containing the vacuous, smug, vomit-inducing self aggrandising ego-driven pages of self-congratulatory drivel" to anyone who sends me one - I only know one person who sends them every year. I had excused her until now as she's from "the south"

You must know my Aunt (lives in Taunton). Why write and remind me that no-one wanted to or bothered (don't know which) to let me know about my cousin's funeral. He committed suicide at the age of 51. I would know that his mother was too upset to contact people, but could someone have done it on her behalf? ;)

Auntie and Uncle celebrated their Golden Anniversary in August, and had a big party, again this is the first I hear about it. Quote "It was attended by nearly all the family". My mother will be very upset to find that her late husband's sister did not invite her to such a family gathering. Cannot even begin to know what to say to my mother reduce the upset. Even I was not invited, I would have made the effort to take my mother there. I could have gone else where for a few hours if I am such a person non grata.
But now, we receive a letter telling us about that and all their wonderful holidays etc etc. Pompous *******

Melvil

A family I knew did a 'joke' round robin one year, a typical extract went "Our Samuel is doing very well now that he's off heroin and we're very pleased he only got a deferred sentence for assaulting that poor old lady. Samantha has lasted a whole year without getting expelled and myself and George are really enjoying our sessions with the Relate therapist."............

........trouble is, most people took them at their word and they had to explain they'd made it up!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I get one each yr from a distant rellie, and you'd think all his kids had just been awarded the Nobel Prize or something...it's almost a parody of a round-robin letter.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd never heard of Round Robin letters until now - I wouldn't really like to receive one. I keep in touch with the people I want to keep in touch with, and have drifted away from the rest.

I never understood what Friends Reunited was all about. I didn't like many of the people I knew at school, and they obviously didn't think that much of me. It's why we didn't exchange telephone numbers or addresses at the time we went our separate ways! The few exceptions are still mates now, 35 years later.

As for school reunions - aaaargh! I couldn't wait to get out of the place, so I certainly wasn't going to attend the 25th anniversary party I got invited to.

Getting back to Round Robin letters... this is pretty amusing :angry:.

Top Bottom