Aargh get off my roads you silly cyclists!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Went out to the supermarket a couple of hours ago- in the car - it's only a mile away but we encountered a good half dozen cyclists, the majority of them with some sort of death wish!
The first I think may have watched that clip someone posted a week or so ago -the one with the sage advice on navigating a RAB, with the helpful advice of using the yellow lines as a guide for your wheel. His insistence on doing that, along with the inability to sit down (I'm assuming his seat was very uncomfortable because I can't see any other reason for standing while doing under 10 mph on a flat road) gave us a giggle, but also meant we gave him a very wide berth. Perhaps that was his plan?!
Then there was the guy we nearly left hooked as he switched from pavement to road right at a busy junction - he's lucky Mr6 was paying more attention than him or he'd have been over our bonnet.
Next were a few ninjas and a man in very very short shorts.
The piece de resistance though was the last cyclist who shot across from the pavement on the right side of the road for the direction he was travelling, to the road -going the wrong way - choosing to take the RAB anti (counter??) clockwise, and narrowly avoiding going over the bonnet of the car coming round the right way! I've never wanted someone to be offed so much before, but he would've deserved it.
I know we say getting anyone on a bike is a step forward, but none of these people should be let out without a public safety announcement!

jarlrmai

Veteran
Saw a few Ninjas tonight myself, all in black riding the wrong way down the road through red lights with no lights or reflectors, bad times.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Almost every evening I get
I've never wanted someone to be offed so much before, but he would've deserved it.
I know we say getting anyone on a bike is a step forward, but none of these people should be let out without a public safety announcement!

I have a 'regular' fellow cyclist who jumps every single red light, without any care whatsoever about causing traffic to slow for him. I've seen him have at least 1/2 a dozen near misses, and I will feel no sympathy when he does finally get 'offed'. In fact, if I pass him laying on the road (assuming he is uninjured) I will ride past laughing......then I will stop, go back and offer to be a witness for the driver who took him out (assuming the driver wasn't at fault.)

This pea-brained minority really do give the majority of us a bad name.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It happens ... one this evening for Go-Getter Despatch cycle couriers in Leeds - through the red light nearly hitting me as I'm going through on green. I then pass him and stop at the next set, for him to go onto the pavement, through the pedestrians, and back onto the road. Words were had as I caught up shortly after :cursing:

I've stopped at the lights, on a 25+ year-old bike with full rucksack, and can still catch him afterwards :becool:

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I just saw a bloke on a Bianchi on Dereham Road with no lights front and rear. Why buy a £1k bike and don't bother with lights? Why would someone do that?
Lights=weight?

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
In comparison to silly cyclists, I saw a few good cyclists today. Two who were riding besides each other but ignored me when I said hello. Then another who had a GoPro on his helmet, he said hello to me.
And finally someone who I knew from Strava who ignored me too (he didnt get far as I passed him and later saw him at another junction).

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I rarely see more than one or two cyclists, so it was quite shocking to see so many and for them to all be hell bent on self-destruction.
I forgot to mention the pair who jumped the lights in front of us.
And then today I watched a guy weave from the pavement into the road, cross two lanes of traffic followed by the other two coming towards him, before hopping back up onto the pavement.
Is it some sort of new thrill seeking exercise?!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Went out to the supermarket a couple of hours ago- in the car - it's only a mile away but we encountered a good half dozen cyclists, the majority of them with some sort of death wish!

Yup.

I've said it before but it seems we have an uphill battle in trying to get our own house in order before we can criticise others on the road. Cyclists do sometimes seem to be the most lawless and ignorant road users. Its shocking how so few can have such a big impact on the general consciousness.

Top Bottom