Abandoned bikes - in ref to cyclopathics thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotty110788

Hi, found this thread useful and decided to take action http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/is-it-ever-ok-to-steal-a-bike.90158/ As working in Newcastle and have few influences i put this point forward and now its getting sorted, if a bike is suspected abandoned, we, the police or the council (not sure yet) will place a tag on the bike giving it 30 days before removal. tbh not sure if I'm aloud to share this as its in early stages ; ) basically council are sick of constant emails of business' complaining, only ones who complained a little were the police as they have sting bikes and threatened arrest if 1 got took away lol but all parties involved came to a reasonable deal.

Congrats!

Round my neck of the woods its the train station that seems to have a copious amount of abandoned bikes, there are signs up warning of removal but I'm not sure if anything ever gets done.

Night Train

Maker of Things
only ones who complained a little were the police as they have sting bikes and threatened arrest if 1 got took away lol but all parties involved came to a reasonable deal.
I suppose if a notice was attached to the bike first then the Police can either say it is their sting bike, or a quick call to the local bobby before hand would determine if a bike is theirs first.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
What happens to all the bikes that are collected? Years ago the police would have a sale and flog off all the bikes not claimed over the last year

OP
OP
scotty110788

scotty110788

not sure on what happens to bikes once collecting yet and tbh the ones that get abandoned, dont think anyone would want to nick lol I'll keep you all updated once i hear more from these private meetings ; )

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
How big is the notice? Would a thief be more likely to nick what appeared to be an abandoned bike... though I'm sure they don't care one way or another. Equally I can't imagine leaving my bike locked up more than 24 hours any time apart from at home (or if I was staying somewhere).

Top Bottom