"Abandoned" car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
There's been a car parked on the pavement/road outside my house for weeks, at least two months.

TBH I hadn't really paid it much attention until a neighbour pointed it out.

I've done those checks you can do online and it seems that it's MOT'd etc.
Wondering if I should report it to the police in case it is stolen. It is also obstructing the pavement.

LocalLad

Give the police a shout on the non emergency number - could be someone looking for it.

A bug bear of mine is cars parked on the footpath.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Check your Council website. Ours has an online thingy to report abandoned vehicles.
The one I told them about in Northampton was gone in a day!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We had a camper van parked up over the road for a couple of months. I saw the woman once...she said she was here to move it, but that evening it was still there - and for another fortnight. It was taxed & everything. I reported it to the council, had two brief phone conversations with people there, and a couple of days later it was gone.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Report to the council as an abandoned vehicle. If it's untaxed they can do something about it, otherwise report to the Police for it causing an obstruction.

We had a car dumped in our parking area for nearly 2 months. It never moved an inch in that time and we saw nobody visit it. Online checks showed it was untaxed, so we reported it to the council and the housing association. They have to make efforts to locate the owner and get them to move it, but after another month, a low loader came along and took it away.

robjh

Legendary Member
We had a camper van parked up over the road for a couple of months. I saw the woman once...she said she was here to move it, but that evening it was still there - and for another fortnight. It was taxed & everything. I reported it to the council, had two brief phone conversations with people there, and a couple of days later it was gone.
What did the council say? I would have thought that if a vehicle is taxed and insured and parked in a legal place on the public highway, and is not causing an obstruction then no offence has been committed and there's little that anyone can do, especially if as here the owner can be traced and says it's not abandoned.

TreeHuggery

What did the council say? I would have thought that if a vehicle is taxed and insured and parked in a legal place on the public highway, and is not causing an obstruction then no offence has been committed and there's little that anyone can do, especially if as here the owner can be traced and says it's not abandoned.
wondering if the fact it was a camper van that got them interested, as opposed to car, dunno though...only guessing...

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Give the police a shout on the non emergency number - could be someone looking for it.

A bug bear of mine is cars parked on the footpath.
Yes, it's mine too. See the attached photo from a cyclepath here in Bristol. Some clowns think they can avoid fines from parking on double yellow lines by driving entirely onto the path:cursing::
Photo-0036.jpg

I have lived in a few areas where cars are effectively fly-tipped. On one occasion, this old Jag had been annoying us for months, dumped outside our front door. It had no seat, flat tyre, no rear reg plate and no tax disc (2002). Numerous emails etc to the council, nowt got done. One morning I was cycling to work and a cop car was coming down our street, so I pointed out to the officers the lack of tax disc etc. It was moved that very day!.

Top Bottom