Abandoned Dutch bikes go to Spain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
An initiative by a Spanish guy to buy abandoned bikes and sell them in Spain where bike mobility especially during the pandemic lags behind other countries in Europe.
https://english.elpais.com/society/...bikes-get-a-second-shot-at-life-in-spain.html
I think there was a scheme a few years ago here where abandoned bikes were refurbished as part of a training scheme and sent to somewhere in Africa.

I think there was a scheme a few years ago here where abandoned bikes were refurbished as part of a training scheme and sent to somewhere in Africa.
They cetainly did that with old Post office bikes. I wanted one - with the big carrier in front - and was told by a mate inside the PO that there was no chance. There was some form of contract - or maybe backhander - involved.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
They cetainly did that with old Post office bikes. I wanted one - with the big carrier in front - and was told by a mate inside the PO that there was no chance. There was some form of contract - or maybe backhander - involved.
Don't know about bikes but vans were auctioned off at public auction. I had a friend who was a garage manager who knew the head mechanic for the PO. He told me they took all the best bits and built them into vans which they tipped off their mates about so they knew which ones to bid for.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure there are many schemes operated by charities which do that.
I do see bikes here for sale that have a sticker 'Bikes for Africa' being offered for sale so I don't know what happened there but there is plenty of corruption in Africa.
A bike can be a real life changer for those living in rural remote communities.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Elephant bikes are old post office bikes, good value and refurbished and for every bike sold they donate one to Africa as transport in needy areas. Brilliant bikes as well.

battered

Guru
I'm sure there are many schemes operated by charities which do that.
I do see bikes here for sale that have a sticker 'Bikes for Africa' being offered for sale so I don't know what happened there but there is plenty of corruption in Africa.
A bike can be a real life changer for those living in rural remote communities.
I volunteer for a bike charity, I think some of their output goes to Africa. Others are sold in the shop, or go to beneficiaries in Bradford who need a bike but have no funds.

Many cities in the UK have arrangements where community bike workshops are given abandoned, stolen or thrown-out bikes.

I volunteer at one where we get given bikes by the Council recycling centres, by the police, by companies, colleges, cycle shops and blocks of flats, as well as individual donations.

Top Bottom