Abandoned Raleigh.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
This forlorn specimen has been locked up near to me for weeks. Can anyone identify it. It has a 531 frame but the decals are a bit worn off. Just out of interest I may put a tag on it and if the owner fancies selling it I would be interested . The paintwork needs attention, and the gearing, Sora, and the wheels aren't original.
20190819_120018.jpg
20190819_120050.jpg
20190819_120031.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I'll sell it to you. You'll need to cut the lock as I've lost the key. That's why it's been there for weeks.

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

View attachment 480758

It's a 1987 Raleigh Granada tourer with a 23" frame. I'm not sure I'd just take it, you could end up contributing to the 'have you been in prison thread'!
You could possibly contact the police and get their advice, it's worth saving for sure.

http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_cat_uk87.html
I have no intentions of taking it. Should the owner ever come back for it, who knows what the story is there, but I shall leave a note on it should they ever turn up.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Seems a shame to let it sit there and get vandalised which might be the end game if the owner has abandoned it. I should be a bit more proactive. Ask the police if you can remove it and put it in their care and then if nobody claims it within a certain time it's yours?
I remember @Globalti had a similar scenario with an abandoned bike.

Good afternoon,

This forlorn specimen has been locked up near to me for weeks. Can anyone identify it. It has a 531 frame but the decals are a bit worn off. Just out of interest I may put a tag on it and if the owner fancies selling it I would be interested . The paintwork needs attention, and the gearing, Sora, and the wheels aren't original. View attachment 480754 View attachment 480755 View attachment 480756

My understanding is that both;

Stolen bikes are locked up awaiting sale by their stolen "owners" away from attributable premises

and

Some police forces place GPS tracker equipped bikes in the same way.

Bye

Ian

Globalti

Legendary Member
I found mine on a Saturday morning dumped in a river so assumed it had been dumped the night before. I took it to the Police who gave it back to me a month later. I did ask around local shops and on some web fora but have never found out why an almost brand-new 2009 Roubaix would have been thrown off a bridge with a busted rear wheel in 2010.

There are plenty of innocent explanations for a locked bike that doesn't move. The owner may be in hospital, gone overseas, in prison, in the forces, dead or may just have forgotten where they left it.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There are plenty of innocent explanations for a locked bike that doesn't move. The owner may be in hospital, gone overseas, in prison, in the forces, dead or may just have forgotten where they left it.

One obvious one, if the bike is parked at or near a station, is that the owner has changed jobs or moved house, and has left it because it is now surplus to requirements. Might be a good idea just to keep an eye on it and see if it ends up being given an abandoned bike warning notice by the local council. You then have to decide whether to let the council remove it or liberate it yourself after the statutory notice period has elapsed. If an owned bike gets served with a notice, the rightful owner will quickly remove the notice and/or move the bike to show it is still being used.

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Another old Raleigh has seemingly been abandoned in Whetstone, near to Totteridge Station.
Its nothing remarkable, a Raliegh Medale, five speed with cottered cranks. C. late 70's early 80's.
It has been there for two months now and has not moved. The tyres are flat and it is starting to show signs of decay. I think it's a shame.
20221125_134438.jpg

20221125_134501.jpg

20221125_134452.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Top Bottom