ABC of Pubs and Cafes, 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
You're going like a train - I reckon you'll have arrived at 'Z' before Easter !

Anything rather than sitting indoors!

bluenotebob

Veteran
I'm going for anything that describes itself as a 'bar' (bar/tabac, bar/boulangerie, bar/restaurant etc) and I don't care if they're closed for the afternoon - or for two weeks for work - or permanently.. as long as the bar name (or café name) is clearly visible.

Here's an 'A' and a 'B' - both in Mauron and visited earlier this afternoon.

Auberge de Bretagne pic 2.JPG

le Barenton pic 1.JPG

Willd

Veteran
D today, Long Itchington :okay:

2023-06-30 18.11.18.jpg

2023-06-30 18.11.33.jpg

and over the road, the real deal, although most of them were seagulls :rolleyes:

2023-06-30 18.11.43.jpg

Hmm, I reckon I'm going to modify this slightly and go for all animals where possible. I'm not starting from scratch, but will get a new A and C, before I go any further ^_^

The Axe & Compass
The Blue Pig
The Countryman
The Duck on the Pond

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
G-I today
Horse and Groom, Cowbridge
20240128_145409.jpg

Harry's Café, Cowbridge
20240128_145638.jpg

Ivor Arms, Pontyclun
20240128_153601.jpg

I had actually been intending the Boar's Head in Tyla Garw for the H, but then saw Harry's as I was passing, so took that instead.

So to date,
Aubrey Arms
Bush Inn
Cross Inn
Duke of Wellington
Edmondes Arms
Farmers Arms
Horse & Groom
Harry's Cafe
Ivor Arms

It starts to get harder now, I have to think about where I can get a J.

Alex321

Veteran
This "might" help Good Pub Guide

I say might because it appears to be from 2021 and still lists a local pub that closed in 1999 and was coverted to houses shortly afterwards :wacko: So make other checks before travelling :okay:

I've been looking at https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/counties/south-glamorgan/

(checking Mid-Glamorgan and West-Glamorgan as well). I know of the Jokllky Sailopr in Newton, but that, while only 15 miles away, is an area I haven't ridden at all, largely because I need to ride on a busy part of the A48 to get there, including a short stretch of dual carriageway.

Actually, I just realised there is the Eli Jenkins in Cardiff, only a few yards off my normal commute route, so I may pick that up on Wednesday :smile:. Can't think why I'd forgotten that one, I've drunk in there a few times.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm on J too.

Hoping to get the Horse and Jockey in Bridgwater on Wednesday or Thursday.

I love the idea of getting animal names, @Willd . Anything with an animal name might be my next challenge.

Mike_P

Guru
Finally made a start as the ebike had its first venture to Waitrose this year and on the return grabbed A B and C

The Alexandra, on West Park close to where TdF, TdY and UCI finish lines were.
Alexandra.jpg

A short distance to the north and off the other side of West Park the Blues Cafe Bar, the cafe seems to have been inserted to attract non alcolholic daytime trade despite a very long row of beer pumps being visible through the window
Blues Bar.jpg

and some distance to the north just off Ripon Road, The Claro Beagle
Claro Beagle.jpg

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Absent minded shopping this morning lead to another shopping outing and DEF acquired
The Devonshire Tap House on the busy A59
Devonshire.jpg

A short distance to the south amongst a group of buildings otherwise surrounded by the protected open space known as the Stray (bits of which creep into all three of these photos) The Empress
Empress.jpg

Down hill from the Blues Bar, The Fat Badger
Fat badger.jpg

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Another 3 bagged today.
The George and Dragon - Glazebury
4rD8bnAm.jpg

The General Elliot - Croft
w3ZCBqCm.jpg

(Apparently named after a former commander of the Gibraltar garrison when it was besieged. Although he seemingly has no local connection at all!)

The Stretton Fox - Stretton
WhRqnjMm.jpg

(Looks to have been stranded up its own cul de sac when the M56 was built, but it's a very busy pub, particularly in summer)

Last edited:
Top Bottom