ABC of the Saints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
There's been a bit of misunderstanding here - and it's probably my fault (it usually is).

I thought the intention was for each individual/challenge entrant to choose their own two target subjects (a bit like the Lunacy challenges in that you pick a distance that suits you ... yet is still challenging).

That's why my initial (and daft) proposed Challenge title was the 2024 ABC of Two Things.

I said that my preferred option would be Crosses & Rivers - full expecting @All uphill to opt for something like Pubs & Parks.

Is this an unworkable idea? If so, I'm perfectly happy to go with a consensus pair of target subjects.

I swore off alcohol more than 20 years ago so I don't pay any attention to the names of bars. But perhaps Bars & Restaurants would work for me .. I'd have to find a Yellow Pages equivalent and start searching for targets.

Reverting to crosses for a moment - there are a lot here (almost as common as telegraph poles) .. most crosses aren't named but some are. I was thinking more of place names - such as la Croix Adéline - which may or may not actually have a cross - and would photo the place name as my post.

Incidentally - I did find la Croix Zoro - which pleased me greatly. Reminded me of Quaker Oats .. and I'm still trying to work out why...

I'd be happy to launch an ABC of Crosses challenge that is undefined time-wise, ie to be done whenever. .. and join in a 2024 Challenge on a pair of subjects that everyone else has agreed to.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Are you still thinking about this ? @All uphill . You "liked" my post above (thanks) but haven't replied yet.

It would be helpful to know if you're going to launch a '2024 ABC of Pubs'. I said above that I'd have a go at 'Bars & Restaurants' but some initial research suggests that I may also need to include some cafés (which sell alcohol) in my A to Z list.

It's so damn cold here that I'm limited to only a couple of short rides each day so I have lots of time to research and plan this challenge - if that's what we're going to do next year.

Re @Willd 's comments above ... yes, there are a lot less pubs in the UK than there used to be. I lived and worked in Kingston-upon-Thames in the early 1970s and there were over 60 pubs in the square mile of the town centre .. probably less than half of that now. But you could still do most of this suggested challenge in an afternoon there, were you so minded...

Please let me know what you think @All uphill ... so that I can either crack on researching - or do something else.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Are you still thinking about this ? @All uphill . You "liked" my post above (thanks) but haven't replied yet.

It would be helpful to know if you're going to launch a '2024 ABC of Pubs'. I said above that I'd have a go at 'Bars & Restaurants' but some initial research suggests that I may also need to include some cafés (which sell alcohol) in my A to Z list.

It's so damn cold here that I'm limited to only a couple of short rides each day so I have lots of time to research and plan this challenge - if that's what we're going to do next year.

Re @Willd 's comments above ... yes, there are a lot less pubs in the UK than there used to be. I lived and worked in Kingston-upon-Thames in the early 1970s and there were over 60 pubs in the square mile of the town centre .. probably less than half of that now. But you could still do most of this suggested challenge in an afternoon there, were you so minded...

Please let me know what you think @All uphill ... so that I can either crack on researching - or do something else.

Sorry for the delay in replying @bluenotebob I've been out on the bike!

I swore off alcohol seven years ago buy think I will still go for an A to Z of pubs and cafes during 2024. I'll start a thread for that over the weekend.

It's a good idea of yours to use the cold dark evenings to research and plan in readiness for the odd bright day early in the new year.

This should be fun!

bluenotebob

Veteran
This should be fun!

Thanks for letting me know. Glad you were out on your bike too today - the NE wind here was brutal but I managed a couple of hours outside - three of my bikes are now off the mark for December.

I'm really looking forward to this 'Pubs & Cafés' challenge too. Hopefully it'll take me to a few new destinations.

Here's an idea for 2025 .. 'Rivers & Bridges'. I'll do some research on this over the coming months.

I'll also set up a new (time unlimited) challenge for 'Crosses' when I have a moment.

Top Bottom