ABC of the Saints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I recently completed the ABC Towns and Villages and then needed a new challenge.

I've decided to take photos of my bike in front of village, school or church signs in alphabetical sequence of the saints names.

I'm thinking that this will mix things up a bit. J will no longer be difficult (St James or John) and even X will be possible (St Xavier), but I'm sure there will be other letters that prove difficult.

Anyone care to join this challenge?

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Here's my first.

St Andrew's at Clayhidon in Devon up on the Blackdown hills this morning.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Here's my B, Saint Bartholomew's at East Lyng, in Somerset. A lovely church on a Saxon site, which may have originally been a Roman platform. This is very close to the place where "Time Team" confirmed the existence in the 800s of a huge cathedral at Athelney.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
@All uphill .

Planning to join this challenge, when it stops raining!

A quick question. I have encounter some churches, which have two saint's names eg St Peter and St Paul, or, St Mark and St Cuthbert.

Peter and Paul is easy, they are both "P", but, what about, for example St Mark and St Cuthbert, does it count as only a "M", or, a "C", or, both "M" and "C" ?

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Rain has stopped, no wind to speak of, rather chilly at 8C, but, a good day to start:

A1IMGP4598.JPG

A2IMGP4599.JPG

"A" Saint Aloysius RC Church, Hebburn, Tyne Wear. A brick built edifice in, sadly, in a rather run down area, where a ground level sign would be vandalised within days, so, only a high level name board available.

BIMGP4601.JPG

"B". Saint Bedes RC Church, Jarrow, Tyne Wear.

CIMGP4600.JPG

"C" Saint Cuthberts Church, Hebburn, Tyne Wear.

Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 11.06.28.png

"A", "B" and "C" achieved in only ten miles, I suspect that "D" will be more demanding ;)

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
@All uphill .

Planning to join this challenge, when it stops raining!

A quick question. I have encounter some churches, which have two saint's names eg St Peter and St Paul, or, St Mark and St Cuthbert.

Peter and Paul is easy, they are both "P", but, what about, for example St Mark and St Cuthbert, does it count as only a "M", or, a "C", or, both "M" and "C" ?
Oh, that's a good question!

Firstly I'm so pleased you think this is an interesting challenge, I've just done E and F, taking me on some roads I've never seen before.^_^

What do you think about churches with two dedications? Up to now I've been thinking of just using the first name, but on reflection I think either should be okay; do you agree?

I hope you enjoy the challenge!

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Here's my E.

St Edward's church in Goathurst, a pretty village on the edge of the Quantocks.

And my F, St Francis at Stawell, another pretty village close to the Polden hills. I really like this little church; it looks rugged.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Oh, that's a good question!

Firstly I'm so pleased you think this is an interesting challenge, I've just done E and F, taking me on some roads I've never seen before.^_^

What do you think about churches with two dedications? Up to now I've been thinking of just using the first name, but on reflection I think either should be okay; do you agree?

I hope you enjoy the challenge!

Yes, I think either would be fair. There are not that many instances of them.

Really enjoying this (and the other challenges), thank you for going to the trouble to think of them, and, set the ball rolling.

Even Mrs @BoldonLad has joined in, after an initial "boys will be boys" look. In addition to the actual challenge of thinking about where we will find the next letter, we are enjoying the fact that it gets us out of the rut of doing the same old rides. Today, for example, was a route we have never done before. Not as scenic as some of your churches, today was all in the urban area of South Tyneside, but, enjoyable never-the-less.

Top Bottom