ABC of the Saints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willd

Veteran
Hi @BoldonLad

It's looking to me as if "H" is going to be difficult in this challenge. I didnt think that such an ordinary letter would be a problem!

I found a Holy Trinity, not exactly a St. H, but it'll do I guess :smile:

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I found a Holy Trinity, not exactly a St. H, but it'll do I guess :smile:
I did think about that, but late last night I found a St. Hugo's just eight miles from home. Before that I was making complicated plans to go to a church 34 miles from home!

The research for this challenge is, well, challenging!^_^

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I did think about that, but late last night I found a St. Hugo's just eight miles from home. Before that I was making complicated plans to go to a church 34 miles from home!

The research for this challenge is, well, challenging!^_^

Yes, I am finding it quite "challenging", but, that is the idea, I suppose ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
EIMGP4605.JPG

A fifteen mile round trip, to get "E", St Edmunds, Gateshead.

Solo ride today, it was a "frizzy hair" day (ie damp), so, could not persuade Mrs @BoldonLad to join me.

Disappointed that I could not also get the "G" (Gateshead) in the Towns and Villages, no name board!

Screenshot 2020-11-08 at 10.55.49.png

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
"Yes, I am finding it quite "challenging", but, that is the idea, I suppose ;)"

The most useful site I've found is https://www.findachurch.co.uk/

It's not alphabetical, but gives a list in distance order from your starting point :smile:

Still struggling with "I" though :stop:
Our local Catholic Diocise (Hexham and Newcastle), also has a website with a list of (Catholic) Churches. I would assume your Diocise will too. Good source of saints, the RCs ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

It's not alphabetical, but gives a list in distance order from your starting point :smile:

Actually, I have just found an “F”, by using just Google maps. I had found an “F”, on the Catholic website, but, it was 30+ miles from where I live. While trying to plot a rough route, with Google Maps, when I typed in”Saint F”, it came up with a nearer option! Just have to motivate Mrs @BoldonLad now, the fog is clearing, sun is peeping out ;)

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along

St Ignatius came up with a few options locally. Good luck!

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Here's my "G".

St George's in Wilton, about 1 mile from home, so I took a little detour to get there, which turned into a full 45 miles. That's what a good coffee does for me!

Sorry for the poor photo - the rain had just started.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Went out with intention of "getting", my "F" today, St Francis, but, then, by chance came upon a "G", St Gabriel.

I then discovered the Pedestrian/Cycle Tunnel across the Tyne was closed, so, had to detour to the North Shields - South Shields Ferry, which meant. by chance, I got my "H", a very run-down St Hilda, in South Shields. Amazingly, given it's dilapidated state, St Hilda's is a listed building.

Every cloud has a silver lining as they say.

Just over 25 miles, a successful day, a "G" for my Towns/Villages, and "F","G", "H" for my Saints Names.

FIMGP4608.JPG

GIMGP4607.JPG

HIMGP4609.JPG

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 13.57.59.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Here's my H.

St Hugh's in Durleigh. I have rung the bells here years ago. If I remember correctly one of the bells dates back to the time of Elizabeth I.

It was a mucky ride today, with the hedge cutters out, and the predictable puncture on the way home. 32 miles and 2500ft of climbing.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I like this challenge. In fact I may have suggested something very like it a while back, but well done @All uphill for making it happen.

I've been having a rough time of late, and have been unable to ride my bike, or do very much at all really. Today was a last-ditch attempt to get a 100-miler for "that" challenge, and picking a trail for this challenge helped a lot with the motivation.

A long a winding road took me from A to G.

St. Anne's, Oxenhall, near Newent.

St. Bartholomew's, Redmarley. Also called Redmarley d'Abitot, but not d'Abitôt, as some boundary signs seem to think. This is an affectation.

St. Catherine's at Staverton, home to Gloucester Airport.

St. Denys' at Severn Stoke, on the A38 south of Worcester.

St Edmund's, Stoulton, between Pershore and Worcester. A longish ride now to the Castlemorton lanes at the southern end of the Malverns:

St. Faith at Berrow.

St Gregory's at Castlemorton.

But the outlook after that is far bleaker. H and I seem to be totally absent in this part of the world. Unless...

The last church today before arriving back in Gloucester. The Church of the Holy Innocents in the rain and rapidly failing light:

You can't blame me for trying. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Crikey that's impressive!

Looks like a lovely route; I passed through that area on my mini-tour last year from Taunton to Manchester, and have very fond memories of it.

I'm sorry to hear you have been having a bad time recently - I hope the 100 miles today has left you feeling better. I'm delighted you have joined this challenge.

PS I am envious of your bike.

Top Bottom