ABC of the Saints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have I and J planned, even though I'll be cycling from a friend's house for the I, making it a 50 mile ride, rather than 90 miles. I hope you will all still talk to me!

K is looking very difficult. I'm now looking for a St Katherine's nursing home, or St Kelvin's Arms somewhere!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have I and J planned, even though I'll be cycling from a friend's house for the I, making it a 50 mile ride, rather than 90 miles. I hope you will all still talk to me!

K is looking very difficult. I'm now looking for a St Katherine's nursing home, or St Kelvin's Arms somewhere!

Yes, I have "I" and "J" lined up, but, "K" is proving elusive! ;) Time for some lateral thinking perhaps ? ;)

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Yes, I have "I" and "J" lined up, but, "K" is proving elusive! ;) Time for some lateral thinking perhaps ? ;)
I like lateral thinking!

I've just found a St Katherine's Abbey 40 hilly miles away in Exeter, so I may ask for a lift there and cycle home. 60-65 miles really is my daily maximum. I might attempt 80 Devon miles on a long perfect summer's day, but not in December!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Crikey that's impressive!

Looks like a lovely route; I passed through that area on my mini-tour last year from Taunton to Manchester, and have very fond memories of it.

I'm sorry to hear you have been having a bad time recently - I hope the 100 miles today has left you feeling better. I'm delighted you have joined this challenge.

PS I am envious of your bike.
I'm touched that you like my bike; I'm always happy to talk about it. It's a bit of a one-off, the frame being from a chromoly ex-hybrid and the components largely from an earlier aluminium-framed tourer on which I spotted a potential failure in the head tube nearly four years ago, and it was retired on the spot.

An out-and-out tourer would probably want longer chain stays. There were a few bodges needed, such as a pair of hose clips to fit the second bottle cage and a shim fashioned from heavy-duty plastic for the front derailleur. It came to me with a few battle scars but it polishes up OK, and overall I think it has some character.

I'll be able to get K quite easily, with a St. Katherine and couple of St. Kenelm's within my usual range, but if I want to do H properly I may needed to go to Oxford where there are a couple of suitably-named colleges. However, "I" still looks completely impossible.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm touched that you like my bike; I'm always happy to talk about it. It's a bit of a one-off, the frame being from a chromoly ex-hybrid and the components largely from an earlier aluminium-framed tourer on which I spotted a potential failure in the head tube nearly four years ago, and it was retired on the spot.

An out-and-out tourer would probably want longer chain stays. There were a few bodges needed, such as a pair of hose clips to fit the second bottle cage and a shim fashioned from heavy-duty plastic for the front derailleur. It came to me with a few battle scars but it polishes up OK, and overall I think it has some character.

I'll be able to get K quite easily, with a St. Katherine and couple of St. Kenelm's within my usual range, but if I want to do H properly I may needed to go to Oxford where there are a couple of suitably-named colleges. However, "I" still looks completely impossible.
I possibly like it because I ride something similar. A 1995 Marin hybrid converted to a DIY tourer.

I had a quick look at "I" around Gloucester and the best I could find was a company it Stita house. That's probably not St Ita, but who knows?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I was given the day off from tidying the garage, by Mrs @BoldonLad, so, out on my bicycle to collect "I" and "J".

IIMGP4616.JPG

A very "washed out" sign, but, it says St Ignatius The Martyr. Although you cannot tell from this photograph, it is a rather impressive (listed) building, but, sadly, in a very run-down area of Sunderland.

A better shot, but, with no bike visible.

IIMGP4615.JPG

and, then, St Josephs, Jarrow, a more familiar location, one of my daughters was married here. ;)

JIMGP4617.JPG

Just over 17, not very scenic, miles, taking in Sunderland and Jarrow, much colder than I thought, when I set out, should have had thicker gloves on!

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 11.58.20.png

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think that puts you in the lead @BoldonLad not that this is a race!

I cried off my "I" earlier this week when I really wasn't in the mood for a hilly 50 miles on unknown roads. It will still be there when the weather is better, and I have had a better night's sleep.^_^

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I think that puts you in the lead @BoldonLad not that this is a race!

I cried off my "I" earlier this week when I really wasn't in the mood for a hilly 50 miles on unknown roads. It will still be there when the weather is better, and I have had a better night's sleep.^_^

I think "K" is going to slow me down!

I cannot find a Church dedicated to a St K???? within cycling distance, nor a Rest Home/Care Home/Nursing Home. I have found a Street Name, if that will do?, (St Keverne), but, it is some distance away, on unfamiliar roads and on the other side of Newcastle-upon-Tyne to where I live.

I shall have to wait until Mrs @BoldonLad aka SWMBO gives me another day off ;)

Willd

Veteran
I'd already started an A-Z of church names in the main MBIFO a church thread, so instead of finishing that I'll defect to this thread and update my list where I can. I've done:
St Andrew (All Saints)
St Botolph
St Catherine (Congregational Church)
St Denys
St Edith
St Francis
St Giles
St Helen (Holy Trinity)

So a new "A" St Andrew at Shilton

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

Last edited:

Willd

Veteran
A new "H". St Helen's at Thornby, Northamptonshire. I'm getting a good collection of pictures of church obscuring big yew trees :rolleyes:

DSC00558.jpg

Here's what it really looks like courtesy of Google :whistle:
1607276034331.png

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Today was planned to get my "I".

St Ignatius in Chideock, cycling from a friend's house to make it achievable.
Despite being achievable a major smash and road closure on the A35, combined with no easy alternative, and cold and hunger saw us going to Bridport for coffee and a pasty instead.

I'll go back when the days are longer, in the meantime I'll get on with the rest of the alphabet.

Willd

Veteran
C today, St Catherine's at Burbage :okay:

DSC00563.jpg

I can't for the life of me find a St "I" anywhere near me - I've looked for schools, churches, hospitals, but drawn a blank. :wacko:
So for the moment I'm skipping "I" and moving onto "J" :whistle:

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
C today, St Catherine's at Burbage :okay:

View attachment 564226
I can't for the life of me find a St "I" anywhere near me - I've looked for schools, churches, hospitals, but drawn a blank. :wacko:
So for the moment I'm skipping "I" and moving onto "J" :whistle:
I find it interesting to discover which letters are difficult. K I thought could be tricky, but I didn't expect I to pose problems - Isiah, Ina, Ita, Ignatius, Imogen all sounded possible, but it doesn't seem to be easy.

The research is half the fun!

Willd

Veteran
Can't find an I or K, so moved on to L & M, found completly by accident, in order too, no planning involved :wacko:

St Leonard, Misterton

DSC00010.jpg

St Mary, Cotesbach

DSC00012.jpg

Top Bottom