ABC of the Saints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willd

Veteran
My final entry (for the moment). I've found 21, just missing Q, U, X, Y & Z. I don't fancy doing 100 miles +, riding into Birmingham / the Black Country etc.

I today in Coventry :hello:

2022-10-01 12.32.58.jpg

Tally so far:

1664632613155.png

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Great work @Willd !

Your efforts prompted me to get back onto this challenge today.

My K is St Katherine's in Exeter.
The thirteenth century St Katherine's Priory strangely had no sign showing the name so I've attached photos of the street name as well as one of the priory itself.
20230403_131640.jpg

20230403_131937.jpg

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My ABC of Saints names had ground to a halt, because, in the area I live, I could not find a St "K" within cycling distance, but, on a short break, near Peterborough, I spotted St Kyneburga, located at Castor, about 10 miles away, and talked Mrs @BoldonLad into cycling there with me. I did have to bribe her with a pub lunch, but, worth it to get rolling again ;)

IMGP0289.JPG

bluenotebob

Veteran
I haven't got the resolve to work back through 5 pages of this thread ..
.. but I'm curious - I'd looked at Saints as another option to the "ABC of Towns and Villages" - I've found 11 so far (or 13 if more than a two-word place) .. but as place-names rather than simply names of churches in a differently-named town or village.

Are you guys on your second or third iteration of this challenge ? .. or still trying to complete the A to Z of Saints by using church names if you can't find a place-name?

It doesn't seem to matter whether I chose single place-names, two-word place names (beginning with le, la, les or l') - or La Ville xxxxxx (as a three word place name) ... I still hit the same problem: A, D, F, N, W and X all prove very difficult to find.

I have located around 20 in each of the above categories .. but I'd really like 22/23 before starting. I hate to start something I can't finish (although God knows, I do it often enough..)..

I didn't want to start more than one category concurrently - but as Saints is a separate thread then maybe I will - just as soon as I find a 'Saint Axxxxx' within cycling distance of home....

Willd

Veteran
I started off with churches, but that proved too difficult, so I've also found street names, a pub, a clinic, a well :wacko: & a school; if I remember correctly. I still need Q, U, X, Y & Z. I have found a Q, but it's a 100 mile round trip :stop:

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I haven't got the resolve to work back through 5 pages of this thread ..
.. but I'm curious - I'd looked at Saints as another option to the "ABC of Towns and Villages" - I've found 11 so far (or 13 if more than a two-word place) .. but as place-names rather than simply names of churches in a differently-named town or village.

Are you guys on your second or third iteration of this challenge ? .. or still trying to complete the A to Z of Saints by using church names if you can't find a place-name?

It doesn't seem to matter whether I chose single place-names, two-word place names (beginning with le, la, les or l') - or La Ville xxxxxx (as a three word place name) ... I still hit the same problem: A, D, F, N, W and X all prove very difficult to find.

I have located around 20 in each of the above categories .. but I'd really like 22/23 before starting. I hate to start something I can't finish (although God knows, I do it often enough..)..

I didn't want to start more than one category concurrently - but as Saints is a separate thread then maybe I will - just as soon as I find a 'Saint Axxxxx' within cycling distance of home....

I am on my first iteration of Saint's names. I have just reached "P". So far, I believe, I have managed actual Churches. I have resorted to collecting some when I have been on "holiday" in various places, much to my wife's annoyance (which actually makes it even more fun, but, don't tell her that). I have found a "Q" which is the next one I need, but it is not a church, it is however relatively near (ie 10-15 miles) to home.

I don't know where you live, but, my main source of names has been via Google. For places (ie villages/towns), I found an alphabetical list of UK place names, via Google. For Saints Names, so far, I have relied on search for "Churches near me", then, picking out the ones I "needed". As I mentioned, my next "need" is St Q...., I found a possibility for that by simply opening Google Maps, and beginning to type "St Q" in the search box, it began to suggest possibilities, one of which was near me, but, as I mentioned, not a Church.

EDIT: Red face time! "Q" I found was in Newcastle-under-Lyme, not, Newcastle-upon-Tyne! Rather puts it out of my cycling range. ;)

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
I am on my first iteration of Saint's names. I have just reached "P". So far, I believe, I have managed actual Churches. I have resorted to collecting some when I have been on "holiday" in various places, much to my wife's annoyance (which actually makes it even more fun, but, don't tell her that). I have found a "Q" which is the next one I need, but it is not a church, it is however relatively near (ie 10-15 miles) to home.

I don't know where you live, but, my main source of names has been via Google. For places (ie villages/towns), I found an alphabetical list of UK place names, via Google. For Saints Names, so far, I have relied on search for "Churches near me", then, picking out the ones I "needed". As I mentioned, my next "need" is St Q...., I found a possibility for that by simply opening Google Maps, and beginning to type "St Q" in the search box, it began to suggest possibilities, one of which was near me, but, as I mentioned, not a Church.

Interesting that you and @Willd have gone for churches, rather than place-names .. but it makes sense. I imagine that if either of you lived in Cornwall or maybe East Anglia then place-names starting with 'St' would be more prevalent.

I guess you have to time your trips to churches fairly carefully ..? I could see myself cycling 50km across country to find an obscurely-named church only to discover when I arrived that there was a wedding taking place ... it would be tricky asking everyone to move so that you could pose your bike in front of the church for a photo ..

I'm in central Brittany @BoldonLad .. so thanks for the Googling suggestions but I don't think they'll work well here. If I get totally stumped I may see if I can find a friend of a friend of a friend who works in local administration who may have access to a list of place-names within a département (roughly equivalent to an English county) .. but I live close to the junction of three départements - so I may need to find three friends of friends of friends..

My original thought for this challenge was two-name place-names beginning with 'Saint' .. but that's too hard. I've broadened that to any length place-name that contains the word 'Saint' - plus any churches/chapels with 'Saint names' that are specifically named on the map. That gives me a total of 16/26 so far.

I like @Willd 's suggestion of schools .. I think French collèges may give me a few more options.

Good luck with finding a 'Q' ...

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Interesting that you and @Willd have gone for churches, rather than place-names .. but it makes sense. I imagine that if either of you lived in Cornwall or maybe East Anglia then place-names starting with 'St' would be more prevalent.

I guess you have to time your trips to churches fairly carefully ..? I could see myself cycling 50km across country to find an obscurely-named church only to discover when I arrived that there was a wedding taking place ... it would be tricky asking everyone to move so that you could pose your bike in front of the church for a photo ..

I'm in central Brittany @BoldonLad .. so thanks for the Googling suggestions but I don't think they'll work well here. If I get totally stumped I may see if I can find a friend of a friend of a friend who works in local administration who may have access to a list of place-names within a département (roughly equivalent to an English county) .. but I live close to the junction of three départements - so I may need to find three friends of friends of friends..

My original thought for this challenge was two-name place-names beginning with 'Saint' .. but that's too hard. I've broadened that to any length place-name that contains the word 'Saint' - plus any churches/chapels with 'Saint names' that are specifically named on the map. That gives me a total of 16/26 so far.

I like @Willd 's suggestion of schools .. I think French collèges may give me a few more options.

Good luck with finding a 'Q' ...

I'm very slowly working on this challenge; it's fun finding the difficult ones, I'm surprised Q is challenging - I would have thought St Quentin would be a possibility, but maybe I've listened to too many Johnny Cash albums!

I found "I" difficult, until I thought of St Ignatius.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I'm very slowly working on this challenge; it's fun finding the difficult ones, I'm surprised Q is challenging - I would have thought St Quentin would be a possibility, but maybe I've listened to too many Johnny Cash albums!

I found "I" difficult, until I thought of St Ignatius.

Yes, as above, I thought I had struck lucky with St Quentin. But, it turns out, I had mixed up my Newcastles. I can find examples of St Quentin, but, they are all 200-300 miles away! I think I will have to take a bye on "Q", for now, and move ahead with "R", "S", "T" which I have examples picked out. Then, I suspect "U" is going to be a show stopper, although, I have a "V" and "W" in the frame. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom